• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I would love some advice on 8 x 32 (1 Viewer)

willie45

I would appreciate some advice on 8 x 32

I was looking at a pair of binoculars and after humming and hawing I decided given that I'm not exactly young and have arthritis in my fingers and wrists, that I'd go for a lighter pair of around 8 x 30 ( or 32). I figure my pupils don't dilate that much anymore and the weight would be all to the good. Also most of my birding is in the daytime in fair light.

I liked the idea of the Nikon M7 8x30 which seems to have it all, the trouble is I'm worried by a few negative comments I've heard about these having flare issues in dull light as well as poor QC issues. No one has stocks of these locally at present.

I did wonder about the Opticron BGA ED 8x32 which would also be a blind buy and these are a little bit heavier.

I am considering the Celestron Trailseeker 8 x 32 which seem pretty good but apparently I can't find the Celestron locally either, hence I'd welcome any advice as to optical quality between the Nikons and the others.

So really I'm asking for any views on the optical quality of these three. I'm guessing the Nikons should be on top but not sure. Also would the lack of ED glass on the M7 matter?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Hi,

I cannot really comment on the Celestron as I haven't used it. Specs look ok - field is slightly narrower than the M7, phase coated and bonus points for dielectrical mirroring on the prisms... see https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=269560 for a review (and I think the Opticron too).

I would still get the M7 off Amazon (so you can easily return it) and try it - maybe together with the Celestron. Yes, the flaring does happen - so it does with the Swaro 8x32 SV...

Joachim

Thank you. I will need to buy from somewhere with a good return policy. I have also just noticed another MIJ(?) Opticron which looks really good. The Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 Binocular. It is new to me and worth a look.

In fact it seems likely my best choice will be between the Opticron and the Nikon M7

Last edited:
490g - The Swaroski 8x30 CL companion (supposedly much less flare than the swaro 8x32)
450g - Opticron BGA ED 8x32
290g - Zeiss Victory 8x25

Hello
I have recently bought myself a second pair of binoculars - after 18 years!
Have you considered a used pair of high quality binoculars?
There are some bargains to be had out there - and you can pick up older models at a fraction of their original cost
Ed

The Opticron Traveller 8x32 is a very nice light and compact bino which performs very nicely. It comes at a very reasonable price too.

Lee

Thank you all. I did look at secondhand but found nothing outside of Ebay ( ie from a reputable shop ) currently available. I'm hoping to buy ink the next couple of days for a trip to Farne Islands next Thursday. I am minded to buy the Opticron as they tick all of the boxes, have a good reputation and a generous warranty.

I'm now wondering if I should go 10 x32 or 8 x 32 though probably the latter.

I'm not exactly young and have arthritis in my fingers and wrists, that I'd go for a lighter pair

It does seem like weight is a very big factor for you. The Victory 8x25 is 35% lighter than the opticrons, and some forum members have commented that the Victory 8x25 is good enough to replace their 8x32 bins. It does cost more than the opticrons though.

If you get a chance, do compare the victory to the opticrons! The opticron dealer seems to have closed in my area, if you report back, it would help me out XD ( I am also looking at the opticrons and the victory pocket )

I think Troubador has used both of these bins, it would be interesting to know what he thinks. Is the Victory 8x25 comparable optically to the opticron traveller 8x32?

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3713193&postcount=17

"I think the 8x25 Victory may replace it (The Zeiss 8x32 FL) in many circumstances around home and for much general travel. "

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3722136&postcount=41

"Henceforth, it may replace both my 8x32 FL and 8x20 Ultravid for almost all purposes that they heretofore served."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3722704&postcount=46

"I’ve already sold off my UV HD 8x32 and stopped using my UV 8x20 since I got these."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3723057&postcount=51

"It can't replace a 32mm bino for me because holding/viewing isn't as comfortable, but I can understand how that could work for others, especially with eyeglasses."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3725782&postcount=58

"In terms of optical quality, this little binocular performs more on the level of my Maven 9x45 than the (Maven) 8x30."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3731149&postcount=69

"the Zeiss Victory 8x25 is very light and compact and provides just as nice a view under the vast majority of conditions." (compared to the Maven 9x45)

Last edited:
No the Zeiss 8x25 is a nice step up from the Traveller and so it should be for its price. In addition, the 8x25 works perfectly for me with glasses but without glasses I get the old problem of small binos and that is that the small diameter eyecups fit too deeply into my eye sockets and trigger blackouts. Bracing the eyecups under the eyebrow can deal with this but I don't use them without spectacles.

The Traveller offers excellent value IMHO and 2 of these would be a very pleasant way to share experiences.

Lee

I'm chipping in with a couple of other criteria which might need consideration, owing to the reference to arthritis in fingers and wrists.
As well as lightweight, it may be the position of the focus wheel and the speed of focus would need some thought. A slow focus may require much more finger work than the OP may want, and a wheel that sits proud of the body may be more convenient.
I'll leave it to others to extrapolate this to actual models, but the Nikon M7 i think would work.

|;|Thank you all. I have decided to order the Opticron Traveller 8x 32 and it should arrive sometime today. I have 14 days to try if need be and work out if the ergonomics of the focus etc suit me

|;|Thank you all. I have decided to order the Opticron Traveller 8x 32 and it should arrive sometime today. I have 14 days to try if need be and work out if the ergonomics of the focus etc suit me
That is a fine binocular, and I expect you will enjoy it. I have had very good experience dealing with Opticron. I also think that 8x is a good choice for that binocular.

Alan

Well after a bit of a faff with the delivery, I managed to get my hands on the Opticron bins yesterday and I'm very impressed. They handle well for me, give a fantastic image quality and the 8x32 size when compared with my previous Viking Navilux 10x42s seems to be very good. It gives a greater FOV and this doesn't seem to be to the detriment of the ability to discern the main subject.

I'm taking them to a stay Northumbria including a trip to Farne Islands later next week so I'm confident they will do a great job.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Last edited:
I wondered how you found the Travellers on your trip Willie? I was able to handle a pair in the flesh recently, comparing them with a set of Diamondback 8x 32's and I was very impressed with the clarity of the image and the wide FoV; unfortunately wasn't able to test anywhere other than a dull street and dimly lit shop, ut they sat well with my glassess and without. Wondered how they worked for you out in the wild? I had been looking at a cheaper Opticron (the Discovery 8x32) as I would like a decent close focusing model for use with flowers and butterflies when out for hikes

Hi Stephen, I found them to be great and quite a bit better than I expected. I didn't feel I missed the higher magnification at all, which had been a concern of mine. They were bright, and they showed me as much detail when I compared them to my wife's 10x42. The Opticrons had much better image qualityI have no regrets at all about my purchase. I love them.

The caveat is that I'm not an experienced birder and haven't a huge amount of others to compare them to, but of the ones I have tried they really were the best by quite a long way.

Thank you for the feedback, I was certainly impressed with the short period I had to use them. They are a bit more than I was looking to pay, but I am not in a hurry so will see what offers come along in the next few months. I have an OK pair of 10x32's which are great for pointing at the bird feeder in the garden where a wide FoV is not much of an issue, so 8 x will be fine

Well you could do worse. At any event, I hope you find a pair that suits you. Interestingly I was in Winchester today for lunch. Nice city

Well you could do worse. At any event, I hope you find a pair that suits you. Interestingly I was in Winchester today for lunch. Nice city

Hope you didn't get too wet in this morning's rain.
I had a go with the Travellers at the London Camera Exchange in Winchester, they are having a hands on Scope and Bino event down at Titchfield haven reserve in September, which I intend to attend in the hope of some discounts.
PS I was born in Kent

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back