• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breaking News Spring Hunting To Cease Malta (1 Viewer)

This is great news and very welcome - but the hunting season was due to end in 10 days anyway, and there are no promises to ban spring hunting next year.

Without doubt the Maltese authorities are feeling the pressure: congrats to BirdLife Malta, Ann and everyone who's been piling that pressure on - but could I suggest that we mail the Maltese Government, Tourist Offices etc saying that we all welcome this decision but that there must be a promise made that Spring Hunting will be banned indefinitely or the pressure will be maintained or even stepped up.

Cheers
Charlie

B :) Hi,
Thanks for that I am sat here in a right state and thought I might have got a virus, hoax site whatever, sorry don't know what I am doing or thinking. I think I am on the ceiling at the moment.

Wonder if the damage to the reserve had anything to do with this decision? we must of course help them replant it.

Thanks again.

Ann B :) :loveme: :loveme: :loveme:

Yes ann, the minister announced this during a press conference at the damaged site... the fact that a number of honey buzzards were shot out of flocks totalling 500+ birds yesterday also had something to do with it!!!!!

You and people like you have done an amazing job Ann.:clap: :clap: :clap:

A lot of birds could have been killed in those extra 10 days so great news and next year may now look positive.

Keep trucking.:clap: :clap: :clap: :t:

All very good but do the Maltese hunters actually pay any attention? Will there be any enforcement or will the senceless slaughter just continue?

You and people like you have done an amazing job Ann.:clap: :clap: :clap:

A lot of birds could have been killed in those extra 10 days so great news and next year may now look positive.

Keep trucking.:clap: :clap: :clap: :t:

Well said Mary, I agree entirely!

Well done to everyone involved in the campaign!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the info Ann. Let's cross our fingers that it works and any illegal activity is acted upon. And as previously said well done Ann and everybody else involved for keeping this issue alive and also praise for the courageous Birdlife people in Malta.

Jo

Last edited:
Hi Jos,

As the Minister made the decision to stop the slaughter we have to hope that the police enforce it. Sorry I don't know how else to put, I did wonder myself if he meant it.

Ann :egghead:

A GREAT BIG THANKS for the support Jodd. Knowing that we have people like you behind us will help us keep on fighting. The minister looks like he means business... and due to the increase in fines this year, i dont think anyone will risk going out with a shotgun tomorrow. In fact there were hunters complaining on their forum that police were confiscating shotguns even from this evening!!!

A GREAT BIG THANKS for the support Jodd. Knowing that we have people like you behind us will help us keep on fighting. The minister looks like he means business... and due to the increase in fines this year, i dont think anyone will risk going out with a shotgun tomorrow. In fact there were hunters complaining on their forum that police were confiscating shotguns even from this evening!!!

Any chance of linking to their forum? then we could let them know directly what we think, second thoughts maybe not a good idea, very good news though.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Only members can get on to the Hunters' Forum. I seem to remember there were some threatening posts allegedly from none members, last time I looked it asks for name and password if I remember correctly.

It is good to hear the police are already taking action.

I am still the old cynic but am giving the government benefit of the doubt for now. I for one will not be happy until we have it in writing that hunting and the trapping of finches has been stopped for ever. I know there will still be the occasions when birds are shot or persecuted as in this country but they should be allowed to fly free as nature intended.

Ann

Mickeymouse it's not that much of a good idea trust me.... especially if the hunters end up venting their anger on birders on the field.... its happened before and it's not pleasant.

Ann, right now Maltahas no hunting season, since the existing regulations say that the minister for environment has to decide when to open/close the season. So since now he closed it indefinately, it will open again only when he says so, which will probably be in Autumn.

Excellent news. I've written a number of times to the Malteses authorities telling them that I will not holiday on their island until the slaughter stops. I've always had polite replies, but I never thought it would actually happen!

Trouble is, I can't afford to go anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back