• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Warren Fishery this evening I could see the Kingfisher flying about by some reeds. I went and checked the water and there were hundreds of fry. I recall I've seen all the fry before. The Kingfisher was quite active and calling. Elsewhere there were a couple of Egyptian Geese. Great!

It's been a good week for Kingfisher sightings.
The Kingfisher was flying around Chafford Gorge again today and I could see the fish. Great!!
Also did the trio of Swallow, Swift and House Martins. I was trying to make out Sand Martins but could not be sure. Great!
Also on the way back was a Kestrel hovering over the A13.
Last week I spotted 10 Kestrel on my way around the M25. It's got to be a record!
Usually I see more Buzzards.
Then they are beaten by all the Red Kites up the M40. Great!

Last edited:
Great news courtesy of BTO;
When: 04 Jun 2017
Where: Langdon Plotlands EWT (TQ6687)
Who: Ruth Barnes
What: Kingfisher (1)
That seems pretty early as well.
Great!

At the Langdon lake the water is like fish soup. Tiny fish fry and larger Kingfisher sized fish.
No wonder the Kingfisher has been seen and there was a Common Tern and Tufted Ducks.
Down Stanford Warren two Kingfisher were in a hedge chirping at each other. Then two tone calling to each other.
Not sure where they are nesting now.

Stanford Warren and Thameside NR, a Common Tern, Kestrel, Jay, Swallows, Shelduck, a Hawk flew past, a Cuckoo calling and the Kingfisher were on the Match Lake calling to each other. A dog walker who lives there told me he had seen and heard a Nightingale! Great!

Stanford Warren Fishery, the Kingfisher was back to chirping in the hedge, I recognised it as I went past. Then it was on the main lake. Great!

Stanford Warren Fishery, the usual Kingfisher, then on a run around Thurrock Thameside Nature Park, the Barn Owl, near the hedge to the old tip. Great!

Stanford Warren Fishery, the Kingfisher was making the two tone call down the back channel. Plenty of Warblers on the reeds. Single Swift, then a Swallow. A Cuckoo calling. In the distance the Barn Owl was flying across the Nature park and there were a couple Hares. Great!

I was working away Monday and Tuesday and expected to get back in time on Tuesday for some Kingfisher but the plane was delayed! Boo! Then there was all the rain when I got back anyway.
Yesterday I decided to check out somewhere different so went to Chafford Gorge. I thought I might be out of luck as boy cubs were out and about catching butterflies. But no the Kingfisher was in a tree next to one of the lake openings. I'd never seen one perched there before.
Then today back down Warren Fishery and I thought I heard a Kingfisher give a single, faint call and then it flew past and up and over one of the islands. Great!

Stanford Warren Fishery, the Kingfisher flew along the edge of the main lake.
I then checked out the main grassland of Thurrock Thames NR, I heard a Kingfisher along the creek and House Martins overhead, GWPs feeding on the ground. I could see Swifts over the old tip. Great!

Yesterday a Kingfisher on the Stanford Warren creek perched on what looks like the remains of a fence in the creek, before the sluice, I think that's the first one I've seen there this year (I'd have to check)
This evening a Kingfisher making the two tone call on the main fishing lake a few times, that has to be the nest location but on some visits nothing. Great!

Yesterdays Kingfisher down Chafford Gorge, it flew past in silence and then stopped on a perch over the lake.
Never seen one land so close or silent. I can only assume a juvenile.
The same for the Kingfisher on the Stanford Warren Creek this evening, silent.
The dog walkers reported the Barn Owl was out hunting over the reeds (they called it the marsh)
I must have missed it by a few minutes but I know it can be seen briefly and disappear quickly.
They also report a juvenile Barn Owl with less markings.
One dog walker is now up early, regularly every morning and reports Kingfisher most days, early on the pond by the path.
Great!

Yesterday evening, Kingfisher at Stanford Warren, quietly flew past, good job I was looking.
This evening a very vocal Kingfisher at Chafford Gorge.
Then a very vocal Kingfisher at Davy Down but I could not see/find it.
Still great!

Last year there were 2 Kestrels on Thameside Thurrock NR late summer. Good I have now found a pair hunting next to each other on the tip. Kingfisher on the main fishing lake. OK I've said it before, I think I know where the nest is lol. Great!

Kestrel again on Thameside Thurrock NR along with 3 GWP, a Heron and a Swallow. A Kingfisher on the fishing lake and one calling on the creek/from the reeds. Great!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back