• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Announces the P1000 Superzoom 3000mm (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Nikon announced the new P1000 super zoom camera which is the anticipated upgrade to the P900 that came out a little over 3 years ago. The announcement is dated July 10, 2018.

The new P1000 has a 125X zoom lens that is 3000 mm eqv. (24 - 3000mm eqv.) The f/ number is f2.8 to 8. This compares to 83X 24 - 2000mm eqv and a a f/ number of 2.8 to 6.5 on the P900.

A few other highlights are ......

- Added RAW format vs jpeg only for the P900.
- 16 MP 1/2.3 cmos sensor and an upgraded processing engine.
- Viewfinder 1 cm approx. 2,359K dots OLED vs 0.5 cm 921k dot on the P900
- Monitor 3.2 in 921k dot from 3.0 in 921k dot on the P900
- 4K UHD video.

Those are some of the highlights. There is more to be found such as improvements in vibration control and connectors. Take a look at the specs and announcement to see what you can find, good or bad.

Press release ......

https://www.nikon.com/news/2018/0710_cpx_01.htm

Nikon Coolpix P1000 from the Nikon Global website ......

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p1000/index.htm

Nikon Coolpix P900 from the Nikon Global website ......

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p900/index.htm

These upgrades do come with a price increase. The USA price for the new P1000 is $999.95 compared to $599.95 for the P900.

Nice, but the f8 of the 3000mm long end would take some getting used to .... I don't think it will be that useful for anything moving fast or erratically - that includes geewhizzits -- I can see plenty of photos of 2 headed birds ! :-O

Chosun :gh:

As a p900 owner, I will be interested to see a direct comparison of the image quality at the same time, same subject and same zoom level, Seems logical to me that with the new lens being larger diameter and all the ED glass I should expect an improvement. I tend to use 800 to1200 most of the time so would like to see how the 1000 performs.
I upgraded from the 880 to the 900 and it looks very likely I shall go for the 1000 (subject to image quality)

Den

It looks a bit of a beast and the ergonomics may take some getting used to but the reach is phenomenal. A well-executed camera with 1" sensor and lower magnification (but greater than that currently available with such a sensor) would get my vote but in the meantime, this looks very tempting

Hi,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zN6NVx-hY
Here is a suggestion on how to convert aperture to full frame equivalent.

That would give the P1000 full frame aperture equivalent of 15,6 to 44,5.

Excellent video, thanks for the link!

How do you calculate the crop factor?

The sensor size, expressed as Frankenstein Fraction, is 1/2.3 inch, which I believe translates to an 11 mm diagonal.

Full frame seems to have a diagonal of 43.3 mm ... does that make the crop factor 43.3 mm/11 mm = ~4?

Your aperture values seem to be based on a crop factor of 5, so I probably made a mistake somewhere.

Regards,

Henning

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zN6NVx-hY
Here is a suggestion on how to convert aperture to full frame equivalent.

That would give the P1000 full frame aperture equivalent of 15,6 to 44,5.

I have watched the video and I think to see the above calculation without seeing the video is misleading. Yes, the depth of field will act as if the aperture was 15,6 to 44,5. The exposure will not act like that aperture but will instead act as the aperture given by the manufacturer. The discussion of depth of field usually becomes moot when thinking about bird photos - more is often better. Therefore, one important aspect of this video is that it is more relevant when taking portraits etc.

The depth of field is not a problem but the exposure is a sometimes a problem when you look at my m4/3 pana-leica 100-400, and you only need to look at the manufacturers numbers to understand that.

Niels

The P1000 is supposed to be available sometime in September.

Edit: B & H Photo is showing expected availability of September 6, 2018.

Last edited:
I have watched the video and I think to see the above calculation without seeing the video is misleading. Yes, the depth of field will act as if the aperture was 15,6 to 44,5. The exposure will not act like that aperture but will instead act as the aperture given by the manufacturer. The discussion of depth of field usually becomes moot when thinking about bird photos - more is often better. Therefore, one important aspect of this video is that it is more relevant when taking portraits etc.

The depth of field is not a problem but the exposure is a sometimes a problem when you look at my m4/3 pana-leica 100-400, and you only need to look at the manufacturers numbers to understand that.

Niels

Ok, Niels, thanks for clarifying that.

Anders

One guy on another forum has calculated due to diffraction the effective MP count at 3000mm will be 1, 8-P.

The extreme some will go to in attempting to put down something they don't like, cant wait to see results from users that know what they are doing.

Here are YouTube videos showing more of the camera.

This is a product video from Nikon Europe ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMLYl-1GIv8

Here is a brief overview video from B & H Photo that gives a good view of the size and covers a few of the features. It is quite large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RVXzak_tg4

The P1000 does have Bluetooth connectivity but unlike the P900, it no longer has built in GPS.

Surely wins the title for ‘Creepiest Photography Advert 2018’. Middle aged geezer hidden in vegetation discretely snaps away at young women on horseback then emerges from the undergrowth once they’ve gone with a strange look on his face :clap:

Maybe there’s a gap in the market for this kind of thing?

What you need to know .....

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/1977264339/nikon-coolpix-p1000-what-you-need-to-know

"The addition of Raw mode (using the .NRW format) to the P1000 is very welcome, but it remains to be seen just how much extra resolution it's possible to eke out of the camera's Raw files. It's likely that all of that glass - especially diffraction and haze-related issues at the long end of the zoom - will place a hard limit on absolute sharpness."

Chosun :gh:

The 3000mm max zoom of the P1000 interests me for getting tighter shots of relatively close in smaller birds rather than using it for long range shots. The sharpness of images from the P900 at 2000mm are generally not that impressive at long range due to atmospheric conditions, so that will probably be even more so at 3000mm.

One thing I am curious to find out if it will be practical to use the manual focus on the P1000. There is what looks like a focus ring around the lens and the view finder has been improved. One of the more frustrating things about using the P900 is to get a sharp focus when there are branches or leaves in front of a bird. The auto focus will generally lock on those items rather than the intended subject. The solution is to manually focus but it is not practical with the P900.

The 3000mm max zoom of the P1000 interests me for getting tighter shots of relatively close in smaller birds rather than using it for long range shots. The sharpness of images from the P900 at 2000mm are generally not that impressive at long range due to atmospheric conditions, so that will probably be even more so at 3000mm.

One thing I am curious to find out if it will be practical to use the manual focus on the P1000. There is what looks like a focus ring around the lens and the view finder has been improved. One of the more frustrating things about using the P900 is to get a sharp focus when there are branches or leaves in front of a bird. The auto focus will generally lock on those items rather than the intended subject. The solution is to manually focus but it is not practical with the P900.

The problem of getting closer shots of small birds will be:
1.The fact that the aperture is f8 at maximum zoom.
2.The fact that the closest focusing distance at 3000mm will be even worse than the 16.5 feet of the p900.
F8 is useless for trying to capture small birds,even in great light,so the 3000mm long end is practically useless in this respect.
Nikon would have done better if they had spent their time developing a better sensor for the p900.......2000mm is easily enough to get great wildlife shots,people need to spend more time learning the skills to get closer to their chosen subject rarther than keep on relying on greater and greater focal lengths.
I don't see any advantage of this camera over the p900 as far as the lens is concerned.....f8 is utter rubbish for small wildlife and many other subjects for that matter.The only advantage to this camera in real terms is the fact that it has raw,other than that,don't waste your money.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back