• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4K for BIF (1 Viewer)

still from 4k

Peter, not 4k yet but used to do it all the time from video camera and then the 900 with good results.
Filmed a Jack snipe bobbing up and down a few days ago with 1000 and 4k and then took a still from it. Side by side on camera the image looked the same. Will do one for you...……...
Here's one, not sure it is the best frame, but a sample of what can be done, this was done "in camera" Image size is 3480X2160 and resized for BForum

Den

Attachments

• 4k stillDSCN4345.JPG
    4k stillDSCN4345.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I think one item to think about is the usability of the AF on the given camera in video mode. I have read reviews about a different brand stating that AFC did not work quite as well in video as in stills mode. AFS for video of a flying bird might be a bit of a problem ...

Niels

Den, Whoa! This is indeed a brave new world! I saw some unknown raptors overhead today and was wondering-slash-fantasizing what I would have made of them if I’d had some high-definition equipment at hand.

The only trouble is, I already suffer comic difficulties juggling my binoculars and any other single object. I’ve been using a tiny voice recorder to speak my observing ‘notes’ into while looking at birds of which I’m uncertain, à la Special Agent Dale Cooper. But I can feel my resolve to wait on getting a camera weakening by the day.

In short—very nice pictures! Not long ago those would have among been the best you could hope for from a digital *still* camera. 4K really is new terrain, and its own beast.

It’s also a miracle you ever spotted this snipe in the first place. I’ve started trying to locate owls’ roosting places. It’s amazing how good wild creatures are at camouflage, and how often I simply look right past, or through, something I’d love to notice.

Hi Peter , yes they do hide well, this one was pointed out to me after I had searched for quite a while, and only saw it because it started to bob up and down.
Went after the Short Eared Owl again to day and when it did turn up it came from behind me and so all I got was a tail end view.

Light was fading fast not helped by a big dark cloud above, but spotted a bird (hawk? ) settle on a post about 70 yards away decided to see what I could get, full zoom 3000mm and there was my first Merlin!! I'm really not sure if any other camera would have got that image in that light and at that distance.

While I was busy with that, the guy next to me said the Owl had settled on a post to my right, but the light was almost gone so I decided to see what the 4k video could do, and got some video of it. Light was very bad so no colour I'm afraid.

Den

Attachments

• Merlin.....jpg
    Merlin.....jpg
    246 KB · Views: 170
  • 4k stillDSCN4501(3).JPG
    4k stillDSCN4501(3).JPG
    867.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Wow! Those are both long-distance, low-light triumphs. How thrilling to see both of these raptors—that’s an enviable afternoon’s birding.

Have you learned anything over time that is easily summarized about owling? I just received Pat and Clay Sutton’s ‘How To Spot An Owl,’ and only wish it were a bit more recent. I wonder what these night vision binoculars are like. Probably pretty hard to put to any real use—except, e.g., during a migration at some sort of concentration point, like Cape May Point, or with an owl whose habits you already know pretty well.

I can’t work out why they tolerate being spotlit so peaceably. I did this to an immature Great Horned Owl on the forest edge a few summers ago, after hearing its utterly un-owl-like squawk night after night at dusk, and that was what first made me want to find more, since suddenly seeing it there was maybe among the ten most thrilling moments of my life.

One of the main reasons why I wanted 4k in the P1000 was to extract stlills, with bif in mind. I have had the camera for 2 month and funnily enough I keep forgetting about it!!!
I tried it only once (not with bifs) and it worked as expected. In the last month I got my first SEO shots in 2 different ocassions. I both cases the owl was flying at some distance so video would have been ideal.
I will try not to forget this weekend, at least to try it even with gulls. I agree, it has potential, at least to be able to pick the right fram without much blur.

Gzoladz, I’ll be interested to see what you learn when you try it! I suppose the limiting factor, even with 4K video, is likely to be the autofocus.

I think one item to think about is the usability of the AF on the given camera in video mode. I have read reviews about a different brand stating that AFC did not work quite as well in video as in stills mode. AFS for video of a flying bird might be a bit of a problem ...

Niels

I've had no real problems with my Panasonic FZ1000 using Autofocus, other than the normal reluctance on occasion to focus on sky-born subjects....you've just got to keep trying!

cheers

Attachments

• P1750896.jpeg   Def.HG.jpeg
    P1750896.jpeg Def.HG.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 63
  • P1720129.jpeg       BeeEater 13..jpg
    P1720129.jpeg BeeEater 13..jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Ken, what’s the second bird? Those turned out really nicely! The FZ1000 has ‘phase,’ rather than ‘contrast detection,’ autofocus?

Ken, what’s the second bird? Those turned out really nicely! The FZ1000 has ‘phase,’ rather than ‘contrast detection,’ autofocus?

Peter, the second bird is a European Bee-Eater, as far as the focusing is concerned it's set at AFF (Auto Focus Flexible) for non-predictable movement.

Cheers

Last edited:
Gzoladz, I’ll be interested to see what you learn when you try it! I suppose the limiting factor, even with 4K video, is likely to be the autofocus.

I tested it briefly this weekend, with average results. I think I can get better shots shooting stills, however by extracting stills from video you can pick the "perfect" frame.

What I will try:

1. Stick to one FL i.e. 800mm. Once I satisfied with that I will try to increase it.
2. Pre focus where you expect the subject to be and don't be affraid to do manual focus.
3. Light must be very good.

Shutter speed is still 30fps so motion blur is inevitable.

That’s interesting about not being afraid to try manually prefocusing. Since I could certainly take terrible BIF pictures even with the ‘best’ possible setup, as I have zero technique, it may, conversely, also be possible to take quite good ones with something much worse than the optimal setup. The tricks we learn and the hours of practice we get can’t be seen on a list of specifications, but may be much of what matters. Good luck, and hope to keep hearing more about what helps, and what doesn’t.

This is the best I got with the P900. I am sure I can achieve similar with the P1000, but need to refine my technique.

Attachments

• 40263667575_83c7188de2_h.jpg
    40263667575_83c7188de2_h.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back