• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pager slaves - doncha hate 'em? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peter hayes

A few days ago while sauntering down Bowling Green Lane, Topsham, near Exeter, in Devon, a man who seemed to be in rather a hurry asked brusquely: "Is it still here?"

I had to ponder for a moment what he meant by ‘it’. Did he mean the FOUR Spoonbills all in a row showing excellently from the hide. Or perhaps he meant the Swallows, Swifts or House Martins swooping in front of us. Or perhaps the massed ranks of Black-tailed Godwits.

No, he meant the Glossy Ibis (which of course we had seen often before). I told him exactly where Izzy was and he marched off. He missed Izzy because of a sudden downpour, but an hour or so later, while we were scoping Izzy (who looked in tremendous form, by the way), he reappeared.

He explained that Izzy ‘was at least a tick’, given that he had come down to Cornwall from London overnight to see some rarity or other about which he had been informed via a pager message. By the time he got there it had gone. As he reached Exeter he was informed of yet another rarity in Cornwall (via the pager again) but decided he couldn’t go back all that way, so he decided to take a detour to see the Glossy Ibis as some form of compensation.

I observed him closely. He watched Izzy for all of two minutes. Then he informed us that his pager had gone off again and he had to go. This time to Portland, where he hoped he would have better luck. There was no joy in what he did. In fact he was rather angry that he’d gone all the way to Cornwall and been cheated of his prey.

He had become a slave to his pager. I know some BF members subscribe to pager services, but quite frankly, if it makes you turn into a machine – like this man – I want nothing to do with them.

Can only speak for myself, but he seems to be missing the point totally as far as I'm concerned.

Isn't watching nature supposed to be relaxing ?

They have their amusing side, Peter. A few years ago, I was with a friend on Holme Dunes, looking for an elusive Wryneck, along with about 70-odd (very odd !) other birders.

Suddenly the air was rent with an hideous cacophany of electronic shrieks, everyone grabbed their pagers (including me !), stared at them, then ran. Two minutes later, the only birders to be seen were in cars, trying to go fast along the narrow, winding, rutted, unsurfaced entrance track, and my friend and I had the place to ourselves.

We never did find that wryneck.

Oh yes, the cause of all the excitement - a Little Swift on the Isle of Wight. Had it been somewhere close, we might have considered trying to see it, but not a frantic race to get to Portsmouth in time for the ferry.

Tony

I think that there are several different aspects to birdwatching and it's a question of 'each to their own' !.

whilst I don't have a pager, I can certainly see their advantage in relating new sightings, especially of some rarities or new arrivals. I suppose it's then down to you as to how you actually use the information.

I'm afraid that I'm not one to go chasing around the country looking for birds, though I do like to see what I can in my own area.

Generally I prefer the more sedate pace of visiting an area and taking in the whole scene - the view, other wildlife and every species of bird that I can see.

Karl: I couldn't agree more. Surely the whole point of birdwatching is to observe the behaviour of birds in a relaxed way - if possible. Certainly, it seems to me one ought to savour a rare bird, not just look at it for a few seconds in order to tick it off some list.

T0ny: so you WERE a pager slave. Have you now reformed?!!!

Reformed ? Me ? ''He don't know me vewwy well, do he ? '' (Bugs Bunny). No, Peter, I still have a pager, and occasionally I will act on the info given if I think it's worth going to see what's around at a site - it did, after all, help me get the Sardinian Warbler at Holme the other week, but I enjoyed the incoming Sand Martins and the flock of 100 + Linnets on Redwell Marsh as much as the 'target bird'.

Tony

One thing that bothers me a little is how much petrol (ie fossil fuel) is being consumed by people who chase around from one end of the country to the other in pursuit of rarities. I would have thought that people who birdwatch might be the more enlightened types in terms of conservation issues. Shouldn't we feel just a little bit guilty about constantly making non-essential car journeys?

Alan Hill

So it looks like it's a question of what you do with the information. All I think is, if you are a SLAVE to your pager, it distorts everything. Or to put it another way, it changes the values of being a birder. Anyone else agree?

Alan: couldn't agree more. I have to take my hat off to people like Kingfisher who spurn the internal combustion engine and always use public transport. It doesn't seem to affect his birding activities. T0ny is another. It's rather like cooking vegetarian food. It requires more effort, but the end result is often better!

Peter,
Pager slave, Twitcher, Dude etc.. all labels to pigeon-hole people I suppose but the real wind up for me are people who try and tell other people how they should go about what ever they are doing, surely it 's a case personal enjoyment rather than what I do is better than what you do.
regards rayh

Last edited:
Come on now everyone, surely birding is a lesiure activity and however someone chooses to enjoy their hobby, as long as it gives them pleasure and interferes with no-one else then surely thats a good thing.
Its my belief that however you choose to bird, be that twitching rarities, seawatching, ringing, local patch watching or just lesiurely enjoying the birds, countryside and other wildlife there`s no right or wrong way to go about it and no one way better than another, its just down to individual preferences.
I suppose you`d call me a "pager slave" as I usually try to build my day in the field around one or two scarce or rare birds that i can see in a particular area, and i can certainly "get about" as anyone who`s read my trip reports will know!
However I`m fortunate in that in doing so I have got to visit all of the far flung corners of this beautiful country from the Islands off Scotland down to the Scilly Isles and everything in between.
Being interested in rare birds certainly doesn`t preclude an interest or pleasure in the commoner birds, I went to try and see a Purple Heron this morning and while I was very disapointed to "dip" on it, there was at least some consolation in seeing my first Kingfisher of the year flying to and fro in front of me while I waited.
Most of the "twitchers" I know are excellent birders with very good skills and knowledge and are usually friendly and talkative and keen to point any other birders in the direction of the birds.
Many are also excellent all round naturalists with knowledge of Moths, Dragonflies, Butterflies and other wildlife.
There can`t be many birders that haven`t travelled to see a bird at some point, whether thats going to see the Ospreys at Loch Garten, the Stilt at Titchwell or the Ibis at Bowling Green Marsh...its all twitching really and good harmless fun too.
There you go, be nice to twitchers....just don`t get in their way when that pager erupts !

:t:

I don't want to demonise anybody here, each to their own and all that, but I think there is yet another line of demarcation here - and that's the difference between twitchers and tickers.

In my view, whilst a twitcher might well be a pager slave (and it's not for me) I still get the general feeling that the bird is important.

Whereas, for a ticker, it is the tick that's important.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that Twitcher X will do what he or she can to catch the Emperor Penguin sighted off Chesil Beach, as will Ticker Y. But three years later when another Emperor is seen porpoising up Southampton Sound, your Twitcher will like as not be on his or her way again. Your Ticker is seriously underwhelmed, though 'cos he's "got" it.

That's what I reckon anyway!

Of course I'd just add them both to my "Missed That" list!!!

A great thread I thought as I started to read it, but in no more than half a dozen posts its HI- jACKED by the GREEN PARTY

Shouldn't we feel just a little bit guilty about constantly making non-essential car journeys?

NO
Public transport ROFL 3:)

It's rather like cooking vegetarian food. It requires more effort, but the end result is often better!

Speak for yourself, pass the Mint sauce please.:t:

sheeeeeeeesh tree hugging, looney leftie ,sandal wearing ,bearded, crochet jumpered, rucksack wearing, peace loving, save the ant (part time protesting) wasted vote doers!!

I take it you're not a paid up member of the Green Party then Steve!

Peter

or even the Liberal Democrats!

Forget the birds lets talk pollitics( might have spelt that wrong ) far more interesting (yawn)
rayh

And Steve stuck up for those Lundy Rats so vehemently?

I would consider using birdlines to see where birds are if I was on holiday somewhere special to maximise the birding quality. I use internet bird sighting services to see whats about and if there is something special reported locally I will try to see it. I do not consider myself a fanatic twitcher but a 'locally relaxed twitcher' who wants to see nice birds on my local places.

Bill Oddie has a pager but he uses it to see where everyone will be then buggers off somewhere quieter! Genius!

So much for it being a relaxing past time. Poor guy doesn't know what he is missing. He sounds as though he belongs in a page of Bill Oddie's book.

Im just waiting for the next step, hop outta bed and straight into a teleporter, stopping to put some clothes on of course ;) !! Zoooom , straight there......good views and then zooooom back to bed or the pub maybe :t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back