• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping..Advice for a beginner ? (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
Firstly,I apologise if this subject is covered somewhere else on BF.I wish to try my luck at Digiscoping but have limited knowledge.Can anyone advise me on a reasonably priced Camera,Scope and Adaptor please ? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Ben
As you have guessed, this is a topic which has been covered extensively on BF. There is an enormous amount of advice, which I certainly found helpful. If you go to "search forums" at the top left, and type in "digiscoping" you'll be up all night reading it. Remember you'll also need a good tripod, and a cable release is very helpful too. Not to mention a program like photoshop. To be honest, I don't think you'll get much change out of £1000 if you are starting from scratch. But I promise you, it's worth it. It's great fun, and suddenly even common birds become attractive. If we ever manage to meet up at the Ness, or somewhere, I'll try to help you.

All the best, I'm sure you'll get lots of help from others on BF.

Ken

Ben Nevis said:
Firstly,I apologise if this subject is covered somewhere else on BF.I wish to try my luck at Digiscoping but have limited knowledge.Can anyone advise me on a reasonably priced Camera,Scope and Adaptor please ? Any help would be appreciated.

As Ben said it has been covered many times in the forum and a good look through will give you lots of info, but to shorten things a little, firstly decide on what scope you want/can afford then try to pick up a s/h one, you don't have to buy the £1000+ jobs, several will give good results just make sure you get one with ED/fluorite etc glass, obviousy an 80mm one is better. Once you've got the scope there are several good cameras available at a reasonable price.

Regards

John

Last edited:
Ben Nevis said:
Can anyone advise me on a reasonably priced Camera,Scope and Adaptor please ?
Here are a couple of suggestions which will give you all the image quality that is possible to achieve with digiscoping.

Kowa TSN823M+21xWA or
Nikon Fieldscope 82ED+30xDS
(you can spend more on ED/APO Swaro, Leica or Zeiss).
The scope is by far the most important component and anyone of these will do very well.

SRB Griturn flip-out universal adapter

FujiFilm Finepix F30 camera

Manfrotto 055 tripod + 501 head (heavy but good)

Best regards,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back