• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Large Bird from Northern New Jersey (Newark, in the city actually if that helps) (1 Viewer)

Cobra800089

I spotted this Bird at my college in Newark, New Jersey. Right across the river from New York. In the middle of the city in a tree outside my dorm. It was the end of the summer, I'd say it was probably early may.

I have more pictures if need be.

Thanks a bunch!

Jordan

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 187
Hi Jordan,
Welcome to Bird Forum! Hope you visit often.

It would be good if you could post your other pictures. Here in the Northeast USA there is one, largely unwritten, rule in identifying a raptor, and that is to first rule out the possibility that it can be a Red-tailed Hawk. For me, at least, I can't do that with any certainty, with this picture. In fact, it looks like one to me, but if you have a better photo showing the breast and belly, or more of the tail, or of the wings outstretched it would be helpful. Red-tailed Hawks have unmistakable field marks on their bellies, under their wings and on their tails (of course.)

There are a number of pairs of RTH's that make their home in the NYC metropolitan area.

Cordially,
Bob

Here let me post more pictures. Thanks for the input.

Just looked at the last picture in depth and I'm pretty sure now it's an RTH. I had to crop it from a larger pic.

Is he in a certain state when his feathers are changing? They're interesting, the front seems pretty messy.

Thanks,
Jordan

Attachments

• Hawk1.jpg
    Hawk1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Hawk2.jpg
    Hawk2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Hawk3.jpg
    Hawk3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
That's a red-tailed hawk alright, pic 3 of the last set clinches it. As for your plumage question I can't help out on that.

Thanks for the help everyone. My family and I have always enjoyed stopping and watching Hawks whenever we see them. Beautiful Creatures. Hopefully I'll be able to get some better pics in the future and add them to the gallery.

Thanks Again,

Jordan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back