• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Early August (1 Viewer)

TRT45

I'm helping my wife drive to Fort Myers in early August - she's having some specialized dog training done - and I'll have a 2 - 3 days to bird. I'd really appreciate any assistance you folks can give me. My target species are: Snail Kite, Short-tailed Hawk, and Florida Scrub Jay (and Mangrove Cuckoo, but I know that's not gonna happen...). If these can be found on public land that would be great, as with my limited time I don't want to be getting lost in residential neighborhoods. Only birded Florida once before, in 1978, and I'm sure it's way different now.

About exotics in Miami, I ran across some online posts, and it looks like it's worth the drive. Any places to avoid for personal safety? Sorry, I've probably watched too much "Miami Vice"...

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Snail kite. Harns marsh is a good place to start
Scrub jay. Oscar Scherer SP Used to be go to place on blue trail I think. Understand numbers of birds are down
Mangrove cuckoo Good luck

For Miami would check with member csanchez7. Carlos knows Miami and I believes he also guides. I have never met him but hear nothing but good things from other birders. Might shoot him a note

There was mangrove cuckoos at black point marina in Miami but don't know if still around

In August be sure to carry bug repellent, sunscreen and water. August is a brutal hot humid time of year

Randy

Mitred Parakeet and Yellow-chevroned Parakeet are relatively common around Dadeland Mall in the Kendall area of Miami. Red-whiskered Bulbuls are found in the residential area a few miles to the west of there along Kendall Drive, just north of a major hospital complex (Baptist Hospital if I recall correctly). Streak-backed Oriole should be found centrally in the University of Miami Campus.

I had the Scrub Jay in May of last year at the Oscar Scherer SP (closer to St Petersburg and Tampa than to Miami).

Niels

One more exotic I remembered: Nanday Parakeet in the St Petersburg area, including the park called Fort DeSoto

Niels

I saw Florida Scrub Jay at the Prairie/Shell Creek Preserve, Punta Gorda (access off Duncan Road, opposite Balsam Boulevard) in December. This is probably the closest to Fort Meyers they occur? Just a few birds though.

I saw a few Spot-breasted Orioles in Markham Park (in scrub just west of the entrance) in Fort Lauderdale (while I looking for more interesting birds).

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your information and suggestions! Much appreciated. I got a PM from Carlos and we are going to do a day birding in and around Miami. For Ft. Myers and area I'm on my own, and I will try out the leads you folks passed on. Again, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back