• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Eagle Owl terrorizes pets (1 Viewer)

After going for a run yesterday and having problems with hundreds of small dogs doing their best to get under my feet, am I bothered?

themexican said:
What goes around comes around ! My dog (border collie) has been trained to kill the Herons that keep pestering my fish :eat:

Then you're committing an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Not sure what you're even doing on this forum if thats your attitude to wild birds !!

JP

jpoyner said:
Then you're committing an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Not sure what you're even doing on this forum if thats your attitude to wild birds !!

JP

I agree
:t:

Let see, the cats eat the small birds and use my garden as a toilet, the dogs use my son's football pitch as a toilet and scare off any gull or plover flocks on the fields and their owners allow them to.

Lets organise a release scheme ASAP!

Rob Smallwood said:
Let see, the cats eat the small birds and use my garden as a toilet, the dogs use my son's football pitch as a toilet and scare off any gull or plover flocks on the fields and their owners allow them to.

Lets organise a release scheme ASAP!

Hear hear.....and I'll even supply my own nestbox!!!!! ;)

jpoyner said:

JP
We have our own laws in Wales :'D Must dash as another Heron coming in for dinner :king:

According to other reports the thing has a liking for a canine diet as it has also attacked a pair of flat-coated retrievers, a King Charles spaniel and an Ibizan hound called Ross.

Corinne Douglas, 63, who owns Ross, said that the owl had drawn blood when it dug its talons into her three-year-old pet.

"Ross is a big dog who stands 30in high at the shoulder and weighs about 30 kilos," said Mrs Douglas.

Regards

Dave

If the dog owner's dog attacked you they would say " Don't worry, he's only playing" as it leaps up at you with muddy paws and ripping your coat.

I'd suggest that the reply works for Owls too.

Rob Smallwood said:
If the dog owner's dog attacked you they would say " Don't worry, he's only playing" as it leaps up at you with muddy paws and ripping your coat.

I'd suggest that the reply works for Owls too.

How many million songbirds do UK cats kill each year ?
Agree with posts above - can I have a pair of EO's for my garden where every bird that nests gets taken by cats ? Don't mind dogs too much - only a problem when their owners are lapse , but all cats are a problem.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR :eek!:

I just live five miles down the road from where this happened

wish i'd have known sooner,i would have gone for a look

matt

If it had been terrorising cats I would applaud then most certainly re-introduce these magnificent birds. Then I would train them to terrorise Cat owners. Especially those who put their cats out at night to be someone elses problem including our native songbirds.

Oh yawn, yawn yawn, the anti cat squad on the go again ...so better to have an escaped Eagle Owl predating native birds than cats, huh?

how come there are so many escaped eagle owls anyway,do their owners let them out over the weekend or what?

there just seems to be so many on the loose, not only in this country but also on the continent.

matt :flyaway:

The birds do have a habit of not returning to the hand. All that can be done then is to try and follow it and coax it back if you can.
I can remember a falconry centre in Yorkshire having a caracara go walkabout for a week or so, they also mislaid an eagle (forget the species).

Jos Stratford said:
Oh yawn, yawn yawn, the anti cat squad on the go again ...so better to have an escaped Eagle Owl predating native birds than cats, huh?

Jos,

How many Eagle owls, escaped or otherwise?

Then how many cats?

We are protecting the heck out ofour Sparrowhawk and goshawk populations - the odd Eagle owl is not going to have much of an impact - but its a great opportunity for us moggie-haters to have a go!

I'd pay good money to see one of the cats that make my garden nearly bird free taken by an EO - even if it would only be a insignificant loss to the feline population!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back