• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Game bird call? Wicklow, Ireland (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I couldn't see what was making this all, in rough moorland/gorse/heather with some sheep pasture. It was very repetitive. There was a raven in the trees,along with two hooded crows. But the call was continuous and didn't vary...no other Covid sounds. Any ideas? I have seen Red-Legged Partridge in the area, apparently released by gun clubs, but it doesn't sound like that either.

Sorry, file won't upload, says 'invalid file'. It's an MP4. Will try to get my son to help later. Meanwhile the sound was 'Buk, Buk, Buk, Boo-Wawk!'', repeated over and over again.

Sorry, file won't upload, says 'invalid file'. It's an MP4.
That'll be a video, which can't be posted here; save a copy as an mp3 audio file, and you can post that :t:

Alternatively, post the video on Birdforum's TV section (I've never tried this myself, but it should work).

Thanks Nutcracker, I'll try that! Edit....I couldn't figure out how to convert it to MP3 on my phone, so I've uploaded it to Birdforum TV, I'd really appreciate if anyone can help as i've never heard anything like this call. Maybe it's an escapee.

Last edited:
I can't see it either! But my teenage son did some wizardry and converted it to MP3 on my phone. Here it is:.

Attachments

• VID_20201018_102758.m4a
    42 KB · Views: 42
Did it ever stop?
It would make the 'Buk Buk Buk, Bwawk!' sound repeatedly for about two minutes, pause a while, and start again. Very odd. As I said, the only birds I could see were a Raven and two hoodies. It sounded like it was coming from their direction, but I was watching them with binoculars and their beaks/heads/necks weren't moving, they didn't seem to be making any far-carrying sounds. (Sorry that MP3 file doesn't really convey the sound too well).

I wonder if it was a man-made sound coming from a distance away?
Could have been. Maybe some kind of game-shooters' lure maybe. Unless that Raven was a ventriloquist and liked the whole monotonous-repetitive thing. Doesn't sound like any bird I've ever heard up that way in any case. Lots of Snipe around, Lapwing sometimes, Red Grouse higher up the hillsides. Many thanks for your help, sorry I couldn't get a better recording!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back