• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bannerman's Shearwater (1 Viewer)

'Puffinus lherminieri bannermani is a small black-and-white shearwater, which is endemic to the Ogasawara Islands, Japan. The taxonomic position of this shearwater is contentious. It is treated as a subspecies of Audubon's Shearwater P. lherminieri'

Audubon's itself was split from Little Shearwater Puffinus assimilis, how far can this be taken!

A

IOC lists at least 8 species (maybe up to 11?) that used to be lumped within Little, including Bannerman's.

But that treatment is quite old now, I believe based on

Austin, Jeremy J.; Bretagnolle, Vincent; Pasquet, Eric (2004). "A global molecular phylogeny of the small Puffinus shearwaters and implications for systematics of the Little-Audubon's Shearwater complex". Auk. 121 (3): 847–864

and detailed in the Onley and Schofield book from 2007.

These isolated island populations of widespread tubenoses are going to keep throwing up splits i think

James

IOC lists at least 8 species (maybe up to 11?) that used to be lumped within Little, including Bannerman's.

But that treatment is quite old now, I believe based on

Austin, Jeremy J.; Bretagnolle, Vincent; Pasquet, Eric (2004). "A global molecular phylogeny of the small Puffinus shearwaters and implications for systematics of the Little-Audubon's Shearwater complex". Auk. 121 (3): 847–864

and detailed in the Onley and Schofield book from 2007.

These isolated island populations of widespread tubenoses are going to keep throwing up splits i think

James

Are they identifiable in the field as in, distinct from each other or will people tick them on range?

A

I guess that depends. Some look more different than others. Probably no worse than the Manx complex (yelkouan, fluttering, hutton’s etc)
James

I could not find this paper referenced anywhere through searches:
Kazuto KAWAKAMI1,#, Masaki EDA2, Hiroe IZUMI2, Kazuo HORIKOSHI3 and Hajime SUZUKI3
Phylogenetic position of endangered Puffinus lherminieri bannermani, 11Ornithol Sci 17: 11 – 18 (2018)

This is quoted by Clements as reason to split this taxon as a species. They show the species to be more closely related to the trio of Townsend's Shearwater, Newell's Shearwater, and Rapa Shearwater.

Niels

Last edited:
Sorry I did not express that very clearly. I did find the paper but I did not find a mention of it in the taxonomy forum here.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back