• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

great converter for z38 (1 Viewer)

Ordered therm off ebay so will wait for them to arrive and are ok before I give a link.

I bought a s/h FZ18 from LCE at Exeter on Saturday for £120, I am amazed at how much better the EVF is than the one on my FZ28.

Exactly the reason I never upgraded -- I think the behavior at iso 400 is better in the new version, though.

Niels

Exactly the reason I never upgraded -- I think the behavior at iso 400 is better in the new version, though.

Niels

I also prefer the EVF on my FZ8. But I admit that I have gotten used to the one of my FZ35 to the point where I find it usable at least.

They can be found on ebay
ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110555948235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110555948235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It also needed a 58 to 46 step down ring that I bought s/h from LCE

My set up is working ok and use of the extension does also make it easier to hold the camera steady. Also the ring doeas allow you to use Raynox snap on macro adaptors

Apparently, the objective diameter has been reduced in the FZ35/38. Usually, it is rather the other way around. In this case, the FZ35/38 has a 46 mm thread and thus does not need a step-down ring. But there is not enough space around the lens barrel for the two releasing knobs on the side. The overall diameter over these knobs is 54 mm, and they get stuck when the lens is retracted. Thus, a 58 mm set-up would be of even less use in my case. If anything, I'd need extension rings of 46 mm diameter.

But I still have a question about your set-up. Does the extension ring still allow you to focus to infinity? I recall from my analog cameras that the extension rings allowed closer macro pictures, but at the cost of losing the possibility to focus at the long-distance side. In fact, I wonder why you should have a retraction problem in the first place with that wider barrel.

46 mm tubes are also available though a bit more expensive, e.g. here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/46mm-PANASONI...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item562b821e7d

So my question about your system is more than just academic.

Last edited:
Robert, I think you are misunderstanding something. On my FZ18, there is a thread on the lens itself, but also one on the barrel around that lens, the part that is shorter than the lens itself when the camera is on. This looks like an extension ring to screw into that outer barrel, not into the lens.

The converter can clip into the lens itself, but will then try to retract into that barrel when the lens retracts, causing problems. The extension tube of the barrel will have the large diameter, so you need the step down ring to fit the converter.

Niels

I assume the TCON17 is the same construction. In that case you should have no problem as can be read in this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=162856

But let us know.

This teleconverter was designed to fit the likes of the Olympus 770 and differs from the TCon17 that is mentioned here, there was also an alternative TCon17 that had the smaller fitment, for the 770 etc... I did have one at one stage but lost it :C

Robert, I think you are misunderstanding something. .....ring to screw into that outer barrel, not into the lens.

The converter can clip into the lens itself, but will then try to retract into that barrel when the lens retracts, causing problems. The extension tube of the barrel will have the large diameter, so you need the step down ring to fit the converter.

Niels

This is a completely new version as far as I knew it then. I have known such a system to work for filters and the like, but not for converters. So far, I thought any converter had to be fixed to the objective so that it moves with it , i.e. that it maintains the distance between the lenses. As the lens barrel is moving back and forth while zooming, such a constant distance to the converter lens is no longer given with the presently discussed set-up. Can such a system really work?

It doesn't seem to have one - just tcon 14

For anyone wanting a 14, its worth pointing out that the top of the tree was the 14B pro. These were expensive when released..something like £250 ( vague memory ) but around that mark, and i think the thread mounts on the lower spec glass ( 14 , 14C etc ) were maybe different
The 14B pro has a 62mm mount so goes straight on to the Pemeraal FZ18 adapter, as in photos i've posted

Attachments

• TCON14B.jpg
    TCON14B.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 59
  • TCON14Bx.jpg
    TCON14Bx.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 61
  • FZ+14B.jpg
    FZ+14B.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 80
  • FZ+14B 2.jpg
    FZ+14B 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 74
pics of the 14B on FZ 18

'P' program, Full tele ( 18x + 14b 1.45x ) , spot metering, spot focus, AF macro, OIS 2, f4.2, 1/100th, ISO 100, hand held
Distance was 70ft
Uncropped + 100 % Crop - run through CS4.

Attachments

• FZ Pigeon.jpg
    FZ Pigeon.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 114
  • FZ Pigeon 100.jpg
    FZ Pigeon 100.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
The packaging lists the WHE Olympus converter as being for the 1400/2500/1000/2000/2500 all fairly early cameras from around 1998 to 2001. the ox shows it as the TCON-14, I suspect that the glass is the same as in the later converters (14B/14C) and that it is the filter mount size that been changed to allow it to be fitted more easily to later cameras. I think the original cost back then was over £200.

The 14b was for E 10 series, the 14 for C 2500L, C 1400XL ,
C 1400L, C 1000L , C 2000 zoom. The 14d was only for the C 8080

The Glass in the the 14b was possibly superior than the other 14 TC's, as it used 5 elements in 3 groups as opposed to 3 elements in 2 groups. Possibly why it was called the pro model as it was built for the higher ended cameras

Although I still think it's good - does anyone else think the converter takes some of the sharpness away from the pictures? Even when focused my pictures lack the sharpness I want (and seem to get from the camera without the converter). Thoughts please...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back