• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Phase Compensation of Internal Reflection" by Paul Mauer, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 56, 1219 (1 Viewer)

Tero,

I mostly use both a Finn stick and the IS - the belt and suspenders approach. Seriously, though, the stick alone does not do nearly as much to stabilize the image as does IS, but what it does is dramatically help in holding up the binocular for a prolonged time. Walking poles are not for me, though I have seen walking sticks that have a nice wooden knob at the handle which threads off to reveal a 1/4" thread for a camera or such.

Kimmo

Making optics is understood.

Yes, "theory of optics" is well established.

There are no "breakthoughs" left to be made.

There is ALWAYS a way to improve a device by looking at it from a different way. Inventions as ancient and establsihd as "hammer" and "bow" have been improved recently (reduced-vibration hammer that uses a tuning fork in the handle and the compound bow). In the same way there is a chance binoculars can be improved too and by improvement I don't mean a 5% increase in the light transmissio or 10% reduction in weight, etc.

During the past 8 months, I have made what I believe are major breakthroghs in the design of rifle scopes. I am in the process of patenting three of my designs. I have some ideas -although they are in very early stages- that might improve binocular/telescope designs too. My study is now full of books and patents on optics and optical instrument design! I have also started teaching myself how to use ray tracing software. I used MATLAB for mathematical analysis for my rifle scope ideas. Obviously, it would be more efficient if I use professional raytracing programs instead of writing my own algorithms in MATLAB.

So, no, I don't agree that there are no "breakthroughs" left to be made in the feild of binocular design!

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
-T. E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Aarabia)

Last edited:
Au contraire (and I've posted on this before ... earlier in the thread ... ;) )

http://birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1302914&postcount=17

But it's also on another thread with links to the original.

Zeiss 10x40B Dialyt had the same optical design but changed coatings over its lifetime.

You can even do a three way comparison giving two sets of results: single layer versus multilayer (T*) AR and PC (P*) and no PC (both with T*)

T* makes a small difference.

P* makes a big difference.

The main issue with lack of PC is a loss of resolution perpendicular to the roof (from the diffraction pattern I've seen resolution drops between 2x to 3x).

EDIT: here's the text from

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/listpr50.txt

The site index (with lots of random interesting stuff!) is at

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm

Here is the older thread that is interesting reading, about the importance
of phase coatings.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back