• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya; birding and mammaling; OUR first visit (1 Viewer)

M Collard

Hi,

I am looking to go out there for 7 - 10 days maximum at the end of August and am seeking out help on who to use for a guide out of Nairobi; my wife and I are birders( our 17 and 21 year old will be with us ), butwe want to concentrate on the birds as we know the mammals will follow.

There are a number of companies out there but some recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Collard
UK

Hi Mike,
I'm sure you'll love Kenya. It really is absolutely amazing. If you're looking for 7-10 days, I would suggest Mt. Kenya, Lake Nakuru, Kakamega, and the Masai Mara. The Mara and Nakuru are both chock-a-block full of mammals as well as birds. There are also some great mammals (mostly monkeys) around Kakamega, but here it's mostly birding. I'll send you a message with some more detailed info.

Cheers,
Benji

hello
Think about
Lake Nakuru,Lake baringo,kakamega forest,Tsavo national park and Arabuko sokoke forest(coast)

Moses Kandie-birding club of lake baringo,kenya

Hi Mike -

I just got back from Kenya yesterday - 3 week trip, including 9 days in the Mara and a week of birding as well.

You have a couple of options. You can hire a guide out of Nairobi to take you around to the various destinations. 2 I recommend: Alex Oyoo and Joshua Wambugu. You can get their info at Birdingpals.com

I would heartily recommend spending some time at Nairobi NP as well as Baringo. For Baringo, Moses Kandie, who has the post above mind, is very strongly recommended. He was my guide for the 3-4 days we spent there, and was very knowledgeable about local species. A few days there and you can easily notch up quite a large count with him. I dont care about getting a huge species list but prefer to go slowly and get good looks at the birds I do see, and Moses was able to accommodate my decidedly non-twitching tendencies very well too.

(Heya Moses! I am putting the photo of that fish eagle in the galleries section now, btw).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Vandit

M collard,
Kenya has a lot to offer interms of feathered creatures.I would suggest visit Kenya birding hot spots,Ten days trip should give you a good checklist.With a reliable person on the ground the trip will be quite exciting.
I suggest you use Paul Mwangi ,he is an exceptional birder and i use him a lot when am having birding tours in E.Africa.More pro birding guides can be found from birdingpal.com will PM you more info.

Kind regards.
Nicky!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back