• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 25x50 zoom (1 Viewer)

SUPPRESSOR

England
Today, I purchased a 25x50W zoom eyepiece to fit onto my ST 80HD scope.
My scope was one of the last of its kind to be made so the coatings are quite up-todate and I thought it was worth spending the money on this up-grade as it is a very good scope.
I have used the scope for a couple of hours this afternoon and I am very pleased with the results,it is everything I had hoped it would be.
Anyone thinking of doing the same would be well advised to go for it. The so called kidney bean issue took five mins to sort out and the eyepiece is secure on the scope with not a hint that it will ever come loose of its own accord.
The wide and bright views it gives on this scope are truly stunning,the zoom lens has well and truly come of age!
fiddler.

Also interested in upgrade zoom

Greetings from a first-time poster from Santa Monica, California. I own an early model Swarovski ST80HD scope with the 20-60 zoom and also purchased the available at the time 32x wide eyepiece which is still new and unused as I have been totally pleased with the zoom. I however have recently been interested in an upgrade but have been discouraged from trying the new 25-50 zoom on my older scope because of locking security issues. I'm very glad to hear that these fears appear to be unfounded. Perhaps Swarovski themselves might comment on this issue or any feedback from others who have taken this route? Many thanks in advance.

BTW... All are welcome to join the 39th Annual Condor Watch on Mt Pinos the first weekend of August! See May 2009 issue of Birding magazine for details. Article starts page 74. Watching itself will be at one of the "signs" on Mil Portrero/Cerro Norroeste Road on Saturday. The article has the WRONG weekend!!

Greetings from a first-time poster from Santa Monica, California. I own an early model Swarovski ST80HD scope with the 20-60 zoom and also purchased the available at the time 32x wide eyepiece which is still new and unused as I have been totally pleased with the zoom. I however have recently been interested in an upgrade but have been discouraged from trying the new 25-50 zoom on my older scope because of locking security issues. I'm very glad to hear that these fears appear to be unfounded. Perhaps Swarovski themselves might comment on this issue or any feedback from others who have taken this route? Many thanks in advance.
Hi, Doc,

I just saw this thread and the absence of replies. I've owned several of the Swaro ATS HD scopes and use the new 25-50 zoom with complete compatibility. However, from your quoted model number, I believe that you will find that the eyepieces for the *TS and *TM series will fit your scope and work optically, but they will not LOCK into place, which is a potential hazard with the rotational manipulation of a zoom lens.

HTH,

Brad

not to hi jack this thread but you seem to know these eyepieces well.

Will a ST/AT eyepiece fit on a STS/ATS scope? compatibility issues??
Ive searched the forums but haven't found the answer yet (probably missing it lol)

Thanks

so they should be the same eyepiece then? correct?? I thought I read somewhere awhile back someone saying sts & st use different eyepieces?? But I'm not sure..
I dont want to buy an eyepiece that doesnt fit LOL 0.0

so they should be the same eyepiece then? correct?? I thought I read somewhere awhile back someone saying sts & st use different eyepieces?? But I'm not sure..
I dont want to buy an eyepiece that doesnt fit LOL 0.0

AFAIK the only diference between the ATS/STS & the AT/ST, apart from the former being opticaly better, is the locking mechanism on the S range. So they should be compatible.

Cheers, Neil.

ahh I see so the "s" eyepiece will lock on my scope where as the non "s" just wont lock, right?
(i feel so novice =P

btw thanks for the help Parker =)

ahh I see so the "s" eyepiece will lock on my scope where as the non "s" just wont lock, right?
(i feel so novice =P

btw thanks for the help Parker =)

I believe this is correct. Additionally, it is my understanding that the "S" eyepieces and later are optically superior. Picking up and older eyepiece for a newer model may not be the best economy.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Brad

ok, thanks,
I think I will make a call to Swarovski & ask the tech's how old of an eyepiece has the newest coatings ect..
I agree Brad after spending so much on this investment it wouldn't make much sense to bottleneck the performance due to an older lens..

I'll let you guys know what I find out to add to the database of forum knowledge ;)

Grateful for the responses.
Shane

Additionally, it is my understanding that the "S" eyepieces and later are optically superior. Picking up and older eyepiece for a newer model may not be the best economy.

I have had a chance to compare the 25-50x and the newest "non-S" 20-60x eyepieces (Swarotop & Swarodur but not Swaroclean coatings) on both the AT80HD and ATM80HD scopes. Mechanically the mounts are interchangeable, but the locking pin is on the older eyepiece and on the newer scope body, which means that the "hybrids" (or chimeras... ;)) won't lock, but you can turn the zoom ring without the eyepiece coming off. The older eyepiece had slightly warmer (yellowish) colour cast and obviously much narrower apparent FOV, but IMO it was practically as sharp as the new version and at 20x its ER is better and "easier" than with the new one. However, personally I very much prefer the new wide zoom over anything else, due to its great versatility.

Best regards,

Ilkka :t:

I have had a chance to compare the 25-50x and the newest "non-S" 20-60x eyepieces (Swarotop & Swarodur but not Swaroclean coatings) on both the AT80HD and ATM80HD scopes. Mechanically the mounts are interchangeable, but the locking pin is on the older eyepiece and on the newer scope body, which means that the "hybrids" (or chimeras... ;)) won't lock, but you can turn the zoom ring without the eyepiece coming off. The older eyepiece had slightly warmer (yellowish) colour cast and obviously much narrower apparent FOV, but IMO it was practically as sharp as the new version and at 20x its ER is better and "easier" than with the new one. However, personally I very much prefer the new wide zoom over anything else, due to its great versatility.

Best regards,

Ilkka :t:
Spot on.
SUPPRESSOR

Today, I purchased a 25x50W zoom eyepiece to fit onto my ST 80HD scope.
My scope was one of the last of its kind to be made so the coatings are quite up-todate and I thought it was worth spending the money on this up-grade as it is a very good scope.
I have used the scope for a couple of hours this afternoon and I am very pleased with the results,it is everything I had hoped it would be.
Anyone thinking of doing the same would be well advised to go for it. The so called kidney bean issue took five mins to sort out and the eyepiece is secure on the scope with not a hint that it will ever come loose of its own accord.
The wide and bright views it gives on this scope are truly stunning,the zoom lens has well and truly come of age!
fiddler.

I tried the 25-50 zoom on a brand new Swarovski ATM 80HD Angled Body this morning. I could not get rid of the kidney bean effect - I tried the eye cup at each extreme of its range and intermediate positions.

I decided to stay with my old grey AT80 HD and 30x wide angle eyepiece.

How did you sort out the problem?

Dave

I tried the 25-50 zoom on a brand new Swarovski ATM 80HD Angled Body this morning. I could not get rid of the kidney bean effect - I tried the eye cup at each extreme of its range and intermediate positions.

I decided to stay with my old grey AT80 HD and 30x wide angle eyepiece.

How did you sort out the problem?

Dave

It is a shame that the 'kidney-beaning' caused a few problems for you. I must admit, it took me a little while to get used to the lens, why I don't know but like you I was initially put off. I think that it really is a lens that requires a bit more time to get used to and whilst testing at retailers, requires a little more time for consideration. I'm still using the lens (in fact it hasn't come off the scope yet), I think that it is a fantastic piece of kit (especially for Digi/ Videoscoping) and after the initial hiccups, I have had no problems since.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back