• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recorder with built-in GPS (1 Viewer)

catfishpkt

Newbie Oklahoma Birder
I can't seem to find a standalone recorder that geo-tags audio files. I have found software that lets you tag it after the fact but I want the file to come home with me from the field with the data already on it. Anybody know of such?

I can't seem to find a standalone recorder that geo-tags audio files. I have found software that lets you tag it after the fact but I want the file to come home with me from the field with the data already on it. Anybody know of such?
I think the Wildlife Acoustics Song Meters have that as an option, but they're intended for chaining to a tree and leaving them there for long periods. I assume other recorders of that type would have the option too, but I haven't heard of any consumer handheld recorders that do it.

I don't know how they tag the files. Can you embed data like that in wav files? I suppose it could add the coordinates to the filenames.

I experimented with getting my phone to speak the coordinates to add them to the announcements I make at the start and end of each recording, but ended up just reading them out.

There are a number of devices out there that do what you want but they are aimed at the security market (ie bugging people and vehicles), so I doubt the quality of recording is up to what you want. There are a number of phone apps available that let you geotag audio, so then you can use an external mic and/or preamp to achieve what you want.

Couldn't find what I was looking for either, I thought it would be a product that was readily available when I started looking. I think I will go with the verbal updates for location info. Thanks for help. I guess one problem with audio recorders is you could move a long distance during the recording vs taking a picture. The GPS would either have to track the movement or only record part of the trip.

Couldn't find what I was looking for either, I thought it would be a product that was readily available when I started looking. I think I will go with the verbal updates for location info. Thanks for help. I guess one problem with audio recorders is you could move a long distance during the recording vs taking a picture. The GPS would either have to track the movement or only record part of the trip.
The autonomous recorders I've looked at that do GPS, only record one position. Trying to save batteries, I was told.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back