• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help: Bird Photos w/Digital (1 Viewer)

Ok I may have just screwed up. I ran out and bought a Casio digital thinking it would work great for bird photo's. I may be way wrong. Any suggestions for better zoom.

My Casio is an exilim optical 3x. I spent $250 U.S. so if I can make this work I would be eternally grateful. Hope the resident pros can help. Thanks

Well, 3x zoom isn't much for taking pictures of birds (would you use 3x binoculars?). The most popular type of digital camera for bird pictures is probably the "super-zoom" catagory. For example, the Olympus C-7xx series, the Panasonic 12x zoom cameras, etc. I suggest you look in the Panasonic and Olympus areas of Birdforum. Also there are Canon models, Kodak, Fuji, etc. If you just search for "super-zoom" or "EVF" (electronic viewfinder) you will also find info.

LMB,
I agree with RAH. You have a nice camera, only it's not very capable when it comes to taking bird pics. Even with 3X zoom, you're probably talking 100-120mms @ maximum telephoto zoom. The minimum recommended focal length for birds is 300mm. Hence, RAH's superzoom suggestion. This is not to say that you can't get some nice bird shots. You will just have to be very close, or the birds will have to be very large. Even with 300-400mms, your subject needs to be fairly close or large.

Sorry I couldn't tell you what you wanted to hear :-( On the bright side, at least you didn't spend $1000usd on the wrong set up :)

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back