• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod straps (1 Viewer)

boznia

I have a velbon tripod and was wondering whether buying an Opticron Tripod strap with loop fasteners would work with it?

I presume these types of straps are universal but I thought I had better check with the community.

Thanks,

Ben

Dont know about opticron but mine's a Viking tripod strap that I use with my Slik tripod and it works ... it's a threaded loop on both ends with that spongy stretchy stuff (the name of which escpaes me right now) and it all does what it's supposed to.

It'd work with any tripod I'd think

Not exactly, though yours may be different. Mine would be top heavy if I done that .... one goes around the neck of the tripod just below the plate, the other goes round just below the ball joint.

boznia said:
I have a velbon tripod and was wondering whether buying an Opticron Tripod strap with loop fasteners would work with it?

I presume these types of straps are universal but I thought I had better check with the community.

Thanks,

Ben
Most, if not all Tripod Straps are exactly the same in principle although some have the "bouncy castle" syndrome. So any would be OK. That's if you want to pay for one. Personally I'd make my own, simple, cheap and works!

You need to play about with the ergonomics to get the best out of them though.

CB

Continuing the thread on tripod straps I have found that a cable tie fastened around the loops of the straps then around the tripod legs makes things more secure.Then if one of the loops comes undone there is still something securing the strap to the tripod.Hope this makes sense.
Regards Steve.

CravenBirds said:
Personally I'd make my own, simple, cheap and works!

You need to play about with the ergonomics to get the best out of them though.

CB

Have you succesfully made one ?

I tried for quite a while before parting with cash for mine. Actually had several goes involving straps (the best strap i found was from a 'Dads Army' shoulder bag), bits of foam, masking tape, cable ties, rope etc etc .... but never really got anything that was both comfortable & at the right height.

I use a strap from a company called Mondell. It is much more comfortable than the Optech or Manfrotto's own strap. I know a couple of other people have bought them on my recommendation and I think they are happy with it.

Unfortunately, they don't have a website and they only take cash or cheque, so you have to order by post or when they're at bird fairs. My catalogue is at home at the moment, so I can't look up the number, but we have another thread somewhere about this. I'll see if the number's mentioned in there and report back.

Here's the Link to the thread about the Mondell straps. The phone number is on that thread - just give them a call and they'll send a catalogue.

The strap, which is webbing with neoprene for comfort on the shoulder part, goes across the body and it has a clip on the end. This clips onto the other half of the clip which is attached to the scope (I put mine around the slightly-raised centre column) and is easy to release when you want to use the tripod.

A word of warning - don't get the one that holds the scope in a padded sling with three clips. My sister bought that one and we went out last week and she had a right job putting the scope back in the sling. You need three hands to coordinate holding the scope and fastening the clips.

I agree entirely with Diane,I have used the Mondel for some months now and i can say it knocks spots of any other strap i have seen.
john

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back