• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL: Better objective cover? (1 Viewer)

etc

The contraption that comes with the 8.5x42 EL of 2008 vintage just continues to amaze me, what a cheap piece of junk on such a fine binocular - Leica is miles ahead. I am talking about both the objective and the eyepiece side. I've dealt with the eyepiece but the 42mm objective needs a better cap. The one that comes with it continuously opens due to no tension. It's something that belongs on a kids cheap binocular.

There has to be a better product. Ideally the same design but better built with more tension. something heavy duty.

Maybe something similar to a rifle scope. Where the rigid plastic just pops open and doesn't even come off by itself.

etc. post 1,
I do not know which raincap you are referring to, since Swarovski has different ones. The one of hard plastic with turnable hinge is in my opinion together with the solid rubber raincap supplied by Zeiss one of the most convenient and most useful raincaps on the market (I have tested and used many and if you could collect all the tears I cried because of the lousy quality of some one could fill a small lake). I use both on different binoculars and they are very handy, strong and, also very important, immediately away from the eyepieces if necessary so there is no delay.
Gijs van Ginkel

I don't use ocular covers except rarely, but on the old Swarovski 8.5x42 EL, I like the one for the Leica x42 Trinovid BN.

I don't like the hard one from Swarovski. I don't like the hardness, or that it can rattle against things.

--AP

Alexis Powell. post 7,
The problem for me is, that on a hike in all kinds of terrain, the eyepieces start to collect a lot of dust and when it starts raining the eyepiece lenses collect a disturbing amount of water hampering a good image. That I can avoid with a good eypiece cover. But if suddenly a bird or other animal starts moving the binocular must be ready in the shortest possible time and that requires an immediate removal of the cover, otherwise observation is lost or poor. Both eyepiece covers I described in my post 6 fulfill for me the requirements for a good view under all circumstances.
Ys the Swarovski cap is hard, but it never was any problem for me and I had no trouble with rattling.
The Zeiss cover is made from hard rubber and does not have that possible risk. I assume that that cover is derived from the eyepiece covers used for many years on military binoculars of different brands. These were made often from (beautiful) leather, I still have some from Zeiss, Kern, Hensoldt etc.
Gijs van Gikel

etc. post 1,
I do not know which raincap you are referring to, since Swarovski has different ones. The one of hard plastic with turnable hinge is in my opinion together with the solid rubber raincap supplied by Zeiss one of the most convenient and most useful raincaps on the market (I have tested and used many and if you could collect all the tears I cried because of the lousy quality of some one could fill a small lake). I use both on different binoculars and they are very handy, strong and, also very important, immediately away from the eyepieces if necessary so there is no delay.
Gijs van Ginkel

Picture? Link?

I do not know which raincap you are referring to, since Swarovski has different ones.

The stock raincap that comes with the Swarovksi EL made circa 2007 based on the serial number.

Leica Trinovid from the late 90's had the right idea, that contraption they had was fast to both install and remove, heavy duty, did not fall apart and did not self-remove. I suppose something more modern is the ticket however, due to being both more compact and lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back