• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x56 SLC vs 8.5x42 EL (1 Viewer)

Simply put:
More WEIGHT so a shaky picture after a while...

"after a while"...Yes! Both of my heavy weights (EL 10X50 SV \ 10x42 L IS) allow me to glass with less hand shake and a very stable view, but for less duration of time before my straps\harness are used to give my arms a break!

Conversely, my lighter optics offer not as steady a view, but a longer duration of glassing time before fatigue sets in. ;)

Ted

Both of my heavy weights (EL 10X50 SV \ 10x42 L IS) allow me to glass with less hand shake and a very stable view, but for less duration of time before my straps\harness are used to give my arms a break!

Conversely, my lighter optics offer not as steady a view, but a longer duration of glassing time before fatigue sets in.

My experience exactly Ted.

Etc, if long glassing/scanning, the 56 are arms tiring binos, so as Ted sumerized, frequent rest is needed.
And the longer you use them, the more frequent rest will be required.

Unless you need 56mm for dawn/star gazing,
Make yourself a favor and go lighter, I think you won't regret it (and your arms will thank you).

It's like buying a Pro DSLR camera or go for a
less "fluffy" one (About Fluffy, I'm not talking about Gabriel Iglesias for those you know :eek:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijAbpgmaXU

Surely the Pro DSLR looks nice (and Pro) , but do you really want to carry a heavy camera around your neck the whole day long?

Any pics of the 8X56 SLC next to other glass. Do not see this glass here in the US, seems like it is more common/available in Europe.

Didn't you just get a 50mm Ultravid? This might be the comparison you want. The 8 and 10x56 are hard to find here but Gordon has them. ("proudpapa56" here)

Attachments

• Leica vs Swaro.jpg
    Leica vs Swaro.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 118
10x56

Didn't you just get a 50mm Ultravid? This might be the comparison you want. The 8 and 10x56 are hard to find here but Gordon has them. ("proudpapa56" here)

Thanks, I am enjoying the UV 10X50 very much I just wanted to see it next to hulk for a spatial perspective. After getting the 8X42 HD and really liking the size and the great contrast, I lucked out on the 10X50 UVHD+ on a whim, could not be more pleased.

Andy W.

Nice picture! The 56mm Swaro isn't much bigger than the 50mm Leica. The Swaro is only 6 oz. heavier. 1 oz. for each mm of aperture.

Last edited:
Looks much bigger to me, the Leica is the tallest bino I have. One could say, Hulk, the moderately priced Swarovski, priced by the gram/Ounce.

Andy W.

Looks much bigger to me, the Leica is the tallest bino I have. One could say, Hulk, the moderately priced Swarovski, priced by the gram/Ounce.

Andy W.
Yeah, your probably right. I don't think the Leica would pick a fight with that big Swaro. It would get it's glass kicked.:-O

You are saying 'big' like it's a problem. I want my optics to be expensive and big with more substance to them.

Pound per dollar, it's a better buy. More resolution, more power, more optical excellence.
Yeah, not something you will want to carry hiking in the mountains where every ounce counts.

You are saying 'big' like it's a problem. I want my optics to be expensive and big with more substance to them.

Pound per dollar, it's a better buy. More resolution, more power, more optical excellence.
Yeah, not something you will want to carry hiking in the mountains where every ounce counts.
The SLC 8x56 is a REAL MAN'S binocular!:smoke:

Attachments

• most-interesting-man-goldsmith-1504044751.jpg
    most-interesting-man-goldsmith-1504044751.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
It's really big, it's not so much bigger... all of this is so subjective, and relative to specific intended uses. Handheld binos range from around 20 oz to 40 in weight, only a factor of 2. And we're so picky about that! I like the SLC 56 very much, and it's great in low light, but that said, for carrying all day I'll take a 32mm.

It's really big, it's not so much bigger... all of this is so subjective, and relative to specific intended uses. Handheld binos range from around 20 oz to 40 in weight, only a factor of 2. And we're so picky about that! I like the SLC 56 very much, and it's great in low light, but that said, for carrying all day I'll take a 32mm.
Unless you use a harness the weight does get to you if you hike all day with a binocular that big around your neck.

I can understand that you want optics big and expensive, with more "substance" to them.
Aren't we doing just that, for most of us? Buying Alphas?

But if you want more power, and a Big Bino, get the 15x.
For the long glassing sessions, if you don't have big biceps, you should get a monopod or get (or make) a Finnstick.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back