• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripods? (1 Viewer)

boznia

As an absolute beginner, could somebody tell me whether tripods are universal in their fit?

Would a tripod i bought off ebay work with both a scope and my minolta camera?

Hope you can help & Merry Christmas everybody.

Boznia,
Most tripods have a quick release mechanism whereby a plate (which comes with the tripod) is screwed into the bottom of the scope or camera and this plate with optic attached can be clipped to the tripod. The trick is to get one or two extra plates and put them on the various optics so that each can be clipped on at a moments notice. If you only have one plate, you have to unscrew it and put it on the other piece of optic. So, I have two plates permanently on the two bits of kit that I use the tripod for. That is what I do but others may have alternate suggestions.
Oh, BTW, the plates are not universal across all tripods.

Have a good Christmas

Colin

What Colin means is that most 'better quality' tripods have a separate locking plate.

I have had various tripods over the years but now solely use a Manfrotto 190 NAT with a 128 RC NAT fluid head. It is ideal for both camera and scope use as it is sturdy and not too heavy, though it is no lightweight. I'd steer clear of the lightweight tripods unless you are going for a decent carbon fibre one, which are a little expensive.

There used to be a couple of different sized tripod bushes, but that was many years ago. The scope and camera mounts that I have used over the last few years have all been a standard size.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the Manfrotto.. I am in the market for a GOOD tripod with an even better head... not meaning more expensive; but with the new camera I need a good one and this is the way we were leaning anyway.. I saw a Manfrotto I would gladly get if it did not mean robbing a train or a bank!!!

Why worry about banks ? They've had it coming to them for years !! A word of warning - the Leica scope has a 3/8" tripod thread, not the standard 1/4" - Manfrotto do a Q/R plate to fit, but I believe with other makes you need an adaptor.

That old Manfrotto has me in its spell
That old Manfrotto that I know so well
Up and down it goes,
Round and round it goes
etc.

Tony

I have seen that some tripods have cross braces on the legs. Is this an advantage or a disadvantage? Can you take the brace off I wonder?

Boznia

boznia said:
I have seen that some tripods have cross braces on the legs. Is this an advantage or a disadvantage? Can you take the brace off I wonder?

Boznia

I still have a model from Jessops which has leg braces. It is the next best one to the Mafrotto out of the ones that I have and a lot lighter, but not as stable. The braces can't be removed, but don't cause a problem on anything most the most uneven ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back