• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from the Fuji X100 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil

I had started a thread last year on this nice rangefinder-like camera from Fuji http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=222451 but due to many other good cameras to try out I didn't get too far with it. The weather was against me too.
As Fuji have updated it with the X100s http://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifilm/compacts/fujifilm_x100s using the same lens but an upgraded sensor. I thought I would share a few images from yesterday in the local park when I was having a shootout with the X100,Nikon V1 and Sony RX 100.
The Auto Focus works well through the scope with a higher success rate than the Sony RX 100 and just behind the very fast V1. As Fuji claim to have improved this further it should be very good now. The processing of Raw is painfully slow so I often switch to Jpeg. Fuji have thoughtfully included a dedicated RAW buttom on the back of the camera which makes it easy to switch and out.
I have put up a short video here https://vimeo.com/60041361
I shot all day in Velvia mode too which a nice feature to have.
Neil

Fujifilm X100 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and Swarovski DCB 11 Adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
February 2013

Attachments

• flamingo X100 stx95 DSCF1338.jpg
    flamingo X100 stx95 DSCF1338.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 259
  • flamingo X100 stx95 DSCF1451.jpg
    flamingo X100 stx95 DSCF1451.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 219
  • flamingo X100 stx95 S0571585.jpg
    flamingo X100 stx95 S0571585.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 258
  • bc night heron X100 stx95 crop DSCF1072 copy.jpg
    bc night heron X100 stx95 crop DSCF1072 copy.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 310
Interesting to see this Neil - the X100 is a weird camera - wonderful image quality - but a pain in many other ways.
Keen to see more.

Neil,

Means when shooting in RAW, the processing still slow compared with Sony RX100 and Nikon V1 ?

Yes, very slow and you can't do anything until it finishes. What I do sometimes is use the 3 shot Self-timer which is more manageable or just switch to Jpeg only.
Neil.

Thanks for sharing the nice photos Neil. You sure "test drive" a lot of gear for us! That back foot on the heron looks wrong. Seems to be upside down or backwards or something.

--Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the nice photos Neil. You sure "test drive" a lot of gear for us! That back foot on the heron looks wrong. Seems to be upside down or backwards or something.

--Dave

Dave,
I enjoy playing with the cameras on the scopes. I'm having fun with the Nikon Coolpix P310 at the moment which was only US$200.
I noticed that leg position. I don't understand what was going on as I saw the bird move and it didn't seem to have a problem. I'll go back and look at the videos.
Neil.

Interesting to see this Neil - the X100 is a weird camera - wonderful image quality - but a pain in many other ways.
Keen to see more.

You're right, it is a pain and I'm not recommending it for digiscoping. I took it out to the mudflats yesterday and had all sorts of problems with AF in poor light and strange exposures.
But it does take nice photos.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back