• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

There was a Queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) flitting around a conifer in my back garden this afternoon...first I have seen in 2013

Looking out of the window now watching the snow coming down Jase, I think it was a bit of a false start to spring ! - like you, had my first Bumblebee of the year at Dudmaston on the Sunday.
Glenn.

Looking out of the window now watching the snow coming down Jase, I think it was a bit of a false start to spring ! - like you, had my first Bumblebee of the year at Dudmaston on the Sunday.
Glenn.

Hopefully some milder weather will return soon Glenn!!!!

Was scanning some trees by a pool with Bins at a distance about 6.45 today(Sat) and was sure I got a large Dragonfly quartering under the tree.
Was I seeing a mirage or could it have been one - thought it was too early for one to be out and about.

Keith :t:

Was scanning some trees by a pool with Bins at a distance about 6.45 today(Sat) and was sure I got a large Dragonfly quartering under the tree.
Was I seeing a mirage or could it have been one - thought it was too early for one to be out and about.

It's not impossible a Large Red Damselfly has emerged I guess, but they are not large dragonflies ? Earliest date 9th April in last 5 years.

The Easterlies of late make a Vagrant unlikely, not reported anywhere else in the UK as far as I am aware. Hairy Dragonfly is a extremely rare locally, and again, you would think it's been too cold until now to trigger any emergence , but they don't breed around here.

The BDS site has no recordings so far this year, usually emergence is down south / west first

Worth keeping eyes peeled for Large Red though from now on..:t:

Had a Buff tailed Queen Bumble Bee yesterday, and a brief but unidentifiable Butterfly wihizz past...It's starting to kick off hopefully..

As Wood wolf says, it is too early for large UK dragonflies even in a warm year. However, early last year did see a number of Vagrant Emperors in the country, but in better conditions. Where is the pool?

Des.

Thanks both...it was at the Cofton Resa..........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=253619

It was a long way off but I saw it fly around under the tree with the light (late evening) catching the gossamer wings and thought "what the.." So waited a bit and it happened again.
Mind you the villa had not long have a rare victory so I was in dreamland anyway...lol

Small Tortoiseshell at the Moors Pool UW this afternoon during a brief spell of higher temperature.

Des.

My 1st Small Tort. seen locally feeding with a mass of Honey Bee's in the brief spell of sunshine this afternoon ( its raining again as I post this ! )

Best night of the year so far with the moth trap. Three new species, Hebrew Character, Double-striped Pug and Diurnea fagella. Hopefully the minumum temperature of 10° tonight will be conducive again.

Moth's
Added Clouded Drab and Common Quaker over the weekend, garden List up to 8. Actually now ahead of last year, April was a washout for me. No Satellite or Early Grey yet..

Dragonflies.
First Large Red was recorded in Norfolk yesterday.

Just had a Peacock butterfly wizz through my garden....and the sun was out as well...2 firsts.

Keith :eek!:

We've seen our first Butterflies of the year in Wyre Forest; very tatty Comma & 2 lovely male Brimstones.

1st. record shot of Small Tort. for the year down the Severn Valley today. Also noted Peacock and one Small / Green-veined White ? ( distant view. )

Attachments

• P1050458.jpg
    P1050458.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Kicking Off !

Great to see so many butterflies on the wing yesterday, and plenty of Brimstones ! Also Peacocks, Small Torts, and Comma's. Not had any Whites yet or Speckled Wood.
Early Grey moth trapped Friday was a year tick.
Also good to see a good few Bumble bee queens, including Buff Tailed and Red Tailed
Pic of Brimstone from the Wyre

Attachments

• brim.jpg
    brim.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 137
One of the many Small Tortoiseshell on the wing in Marlbrook yesterday. Also Peacocks and a few Commas.

Attachments

• Small Tortoiseshell compressed.jpg
    Small Tortoiseshell compressed.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 123
Saw my first male Orange Tip at Grimley old workings today. Other species of butterfly seen at this location were Green-veined White, both male & female Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell.

Later this afternoon I then did a walk in Monkwood where I recorded an amazing 22 Peacock butterflies, 1 Red Admiral and 1 male Brimstone. Many Bee Flies and Drone Flies were also on the wing.

Saw my first male Orange Tip at Grimley old workings today. Other species of butterfly seen at this location were Green-veined White, both male & female Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell.

Later this afternoon I then did a walk in Monkwood where I recorded an amazing 22 Peacock butterflies, 1 Red Admiral and 1 male Brimstone. Many Bee Flies and Drone Flies were also on the wing.

It's very encouraging that Peacocks and Small Tort seem to be about in good numbers now.

I have had a steady stream of new moths over the last few nights, mainly the expected and obvious macros like Hebrew Character and Early Grey (Pic).
Also had a few micro's, like Twenty-plume (Pic)

Attachments

• earlyblog.jpg
    earlyblog.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20plum.jpg
    20plum.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back