• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SIRUI L-10 Monopod Tilt Head adjustment (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have had this excellent head for a few years but the manual is all in Japanese - does anyone know if you can adjust the tension on the quick release plate locking lever? I thought you could adjust it with the supplied small allen key but mine will not budge!!

Yes you can (I assume it is the lever lock version) but it will take the, subtle, application of brute force tempered with a little ignorance!
You have probably just found that the Sirui OR plates are a little narrower than all the others. Anyway, if you look at where the lever pivots you will see an Allen bolt (image attached). Naturally this is held tight with copious amounts of Locktite so it takes a little convincing (brute force) to persuade it to move! Find the best fitting Allen key you have and twist away. Once you have re-set it then I have found no need for further Locktite as the residue on the threads is more than sufficient.
If you run into any problems - let me know.

Attachments

• Bolts06.JPG
    Bolts06.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 250
Yes you can (I assume it is the lever lock version) but it will take the, subtle, application of brute force tempered with a little ignorance!
You have probably just found that the Sirui OR plates are a little narrower than all the others. Anyway, if you look at where the lever pivots you will see an Allen bolt (image attached). Naturally this is held tight with copious amounts of Locktite so it takes a little convincing (brute force) to persuade it to move! Find the best fitting Allen key you have and twist away. Once you have re-set it then I have found no need for further Locktite as the residue on the threads is more than sufficient.
If you run into any problems - let me know.
Yes John that's the Allen screw I have been trying but it is stuck like sh#t to a blanket. I seem to remember that I loosened it off a tad when I bought the head several years ago to accommodate a Jobu plate but now I feel it needs tightening a bit for the Sirui plate.

Yes John that's the Allen screw I have been trying but it is stuck like sh#t to a blanket. I seem to remember that I loosened it off a tad when I bought the head several years ago to accommodate a Jobu plate but now I feel it needs tightening a bit for the Sirui plate.

Just a suggestion but I have 2 Sirui plates which I put on my camera bodies as I never attach the camera body to my L10 head, I mount the lens on this head. All my other plates fit fine - it's only the Sirui ones that an odd size. I would just get a couple of cheap plates from E Bay - I like the KIWIFOTOS ones - nice quality.

Could you give it a little heat Roy then with a new Allen Key or cut say 1/4inch off your old one so it's like new, tap it in with a small hammer then put a cloth round it so you can get a good grip .

It may help it to move ,it should be locktite Blue or that type so should give .

Rob.

Just a suggestion but I have 2 Sirui plates which I put on my camera bodies as I never attach the camera body to my L10 head, I mount the lens on this head. All my other plates fit fine - it's only the Sirui ones that an odd size. I would just get a couple of cheap plates from E Bay - I like the KIWIFOTOS ones - nice quality.

Could you give it a little heat Roy then with a new Allen Key or cut say 1/4inch off your old one so it's like new, tap it in with a small hammer then put a cloth round it so you can get a good grip .

It may help it to move ,it should be locktite Blue or that type so should give .

Rob.
Thanks for the feedback John and Rob.
Rob, the trouble is that the Allen screw has just a 2mm head so getting a lot of pressure is difficult - I have a couple of brand new Allen keys - I may try your method of heat and tapping-in. The large plate from your lensmaster gimbal (excellent BTW) fits a treat but is a bit too big for the small Sirui clamp I feel (with the small plate I would have to remove the fail safe screws!)

John, thanks for the suggestion of a cheap KIWIFOTOS I think I might get one to try.

2mm is not very deep at all, you could drill the bottom out a little then tap the Allen key in a bit deeper sort of jam it in as it should be harder than the screw so cut its way in, that would give a little more bite.

Or with a sharp screw driver tap it round but you would need a vice to hold the piece.
Rob.

2mm is not very deep at all, you could drill the bottom out a little then tap the Allen key in a bit deeper sort of jam it in as it should be harder than the screw so cut its way in, that would give a little more bite.

Or with a sharp screw driver tap it round but you would need a vice to hold the piece.
Rob.
The 2mm is the size of the Allen key across the flats Rob, so a very small one.

I see Roy the photo above made me think it was a lot bigger .

A last resort would be to hammer a old Philips screw driver or star driver in if that failed then it would need to be drilled out and may then need tapping . it does not look like you can cut a slot in the head for a screw driver.
lock tite although a great product can over time set rock solid .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back