• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Singh Brain needs Bird I.D...please (1 Viewer)

Dr Manjeet Singh

Dr.Manjeet Singh
I had gone birding to Kuala Selongor but between Rawang and K.Selongor at a place called Tasik Putri a huge lots of birds where roosting-5000 to 10,000 believe me.Just before this place on the other side of the road about 300meters from the roost-i saw this ? Eagle(1st&2nd)-was about 400feet away but it was cloudy and slight rain was falling.The 3nd(jun.-little heron or Juv. Black -crowenedNight Heron) bird i got at this great roost(nests etc)-saw Little heron,Grey Heron,Purple Heron,ergets and Black-crowened Night Heron all having nests-from the road about 100feet.The 4rt bird i have only one picture this was in Kuala Selongor near the mangroves-just had chance for one picture-sorry for the poor quality pics.Thank you... B :) B :)I will be uploading the map to the place -so if any body from Malaysia can go there but people may know about it but for me it was the first time. :t:

Attachments

• 212a1.jpg
    212a1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 212f3.jpg
    212f3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 212j1.jpg
    212j1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 212aman.jpg
    212aman.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
No idea

I've no idea Manjeet!
I was at KSNP the previous weekend and didn't see any of these fellas around the area.
There's so many juveniles around at the moment that it makes ID'ing a little tougher.
Good luck, and sorry this post was of no help whatsoever!

Manjeet,
The raptor looks like a subadult Ichthyophaga ichthyaetus to me. The adult should not have a persistent supercilium. This has apparently a single white transverse tail band mostly hidden. A short tail. Not very pronounced supraciliary ridges.

cuckooroller said:
Manjeet,
The raptor looks like a subadult Ichthyophaga ichthyaetus to me. The adult should not have a persistent supercilium. This has apparently a single white transverse tail band mostly hidden. A short tail. Not very pronounced supraciliary ridges.
Yes Steve-i thought that it looked like a juv.Grey-headed Fish Eagle-but couldnt get near the path beside the high way it was very steep and it had rained earlier and infact slight drizzle was on but i was confused with the I.D. -thinking it was juv. Black Eagle(still not good in acciptirinae)-what about the other 2 pictures Steve-.Thank you very much Steve. B :) B :)

Dr Manjeet Singh said:
:)I will be uploading the map to the place -so if any body from Malaysia can go there but people may know about it but for me it was the first time. :t:

Hi Doc, Looks like you hit the mother lode! Good for you!
Just thought it might be a good idea not to publish your map to the area. Never know who is reading this forum. There have been cases of birds and eggs going missing in the past after their specific whereabouts was published. Perhaps anyone who needs the details can write to you personally if they want to visit the place.
Rgds,
broc

I would dare say that the heron is a juvenile Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) and the the third bird is a male Vivid Niltava (Niltava vivida) but I don't know it it is present in that area.

Carlos U said:
I would dare say that the heron is a juvenile Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) and the the third bird is a male Vivid Niltava (Niltava vivida) but I don't know it it is present in that area.
Thanks Carlos-i to believe that it is juv.Night Heron as for the last could it be a Cyornis rufigastra-any one please i couldnt see the front view of the bird.

Hi Manjeet,

Could to hear you've been out and about again.

Grey-headed Fish Eagle as Steve mentions for the first and the last you are correct, Mangrove Blue Flycatcher. This species is surprisingly dark blue on the back, orange extending far down to the belly and it is the only resident Cyornis at Kuala Selangor.

Broc said:
Hi Doc, Looks like you hit the mother lode! Good for you!
Just thought it might be a good idea not to publish your map to the area. Never know who is reading this forum. There have been cases of birds and eggs going missing in the past after their specific whereabouts was published. Perhaps anyone who needs the details can write to you personally if they want to visit the place.
Rgds,
broc

As Kuala Selangor is a reserve and informations about the place (map, access etc.) are already published I don't see any problem why the place shouldn't be published here as well.
I guess the big concern about birds and nature in Malysia isn't eggthiefs but the ongoing logging of rainforest and their replacement for palm oil plantations.
I visited Malaysia (Kuala Selangor, Fraser's Hill) and Borneo (Kinabalu, Gomantong, Sepilok, Mulu) some years ago. Recently a friend showed me pictures of mostly the same places, taken last year and I was shocked.

Very nice pics Manjeet, specially the Grey-headed Fish-eagle.

Greetings
Wintibird

wintibird said:
As Kuala Selangor is a reserve and informations about the place (map, access etc.) are already published I don't see any problem why the place shouldn't be published here as well.
I guess the big concern about birds and nature in Malysia isn't eggthiefs but the ongoing logging of rainforest and their replacement for palm oil plantations.
I visited Malaysia (Kuala Selangor, Fraser's Hill) and Borneo (Kinabalu, Gomantong, Sepilok, Mulu) some years ago. Recently a friend showed me pictures of mostly the same places, taken last year and I was shocked.

Very nice pics Manjeet, specially the Grey-headed Fish-eagle.

Greetings
Wintibird
Wintibird-the place mentioned for the Juv. Night-crowned Heron,Grey-headed Fish eagle is not in Kuala Selongor-the roost is situated in a place called Tasik Putri which is between K.Selongor and Rawang.While the Grey Heron,Mangrove Flycatcher was taken in Kuala Selongor Bird santuary.So i hope if any body wants to go to the place-i will willingly p.m the map to you'll any time.Thanks for the comment-thus they are two different places-i saw 5000 to 10,000 birds roosting there.It was the first for me but others may know about it.Chicks.eggs and lot of Juv. seen-Hope nobody destroys it .

James Eaton said:
Hi Manjeet,

Could to hear you've been out and about again.

Grey-headed Fish Eagle as Steve mentions for the first and the last you are correct, Mangrove Blue Flycatcher. This species is surprisingly dark blue on the back, orange extending far down to the belly and it is the only resident Cyornis at Kuala Selangor.
Thanks James and welcome back-do call .I couldnt get the front view of the Flycatcher.Well there is always next time. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back