• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Lancashire (1 Viewer)

Djstorm

Hello everyone.

My name's Daniel, 25 and married to a wife who thinks I spend more on birds then on us.....(not quite true)

Anyways, we don't have a huge garden, 4 birch trees and a row of "fir trees?!?!" at the side with "hedgerow" at the back.

It might be small but in the two years we have been here, we have had :-

On a regular basis - Great & Blue tits, Robins, Greenfinches, Doves, Sparrows.

On occasional visits - Woodpecker(on nut feeder so presume GSW???), Moorhens, Pheasants, Chaffinches, Bullfinches.

So far we have a square suet feeder, 2 seed hangers(1 with "mix" in and 1 with sunflower seeds) and one peanunt hanger.

Having seen the woodpecker on one occasion eating the nuts, it's got me thinking how we could encourage more peckers into the garden along with other unusual birds, not to mention the wanting to encourage hedgehogs(but that's another story).

Hope I've not bored you too much, look forward to chatting to some of you in the future!

Djstorm!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Daniel,

Welcome to Birdforum. Bullfinches are very scarce on the Fylde, so even occasional visits to a garden are notable. Some nice areas around Cockerham for birding.

Stephen

Hi Daniel and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to hearing all your news.

D

It seems that woody is now becoming a regular to the peanut feeder. I've been given a log, into which I intent to drill holes for nuts and seed, will this actually attract the peckers more so than the peanut feeder which is so easily accessible? Or will all the other little birds try and get the seeds out? Actually......how deep a hole should one be drilling for a woody?

Hi again

You're probably best to discuss all this in the Garden Birds forum. It is likely to attract all sorts of birds (even Nuthatches if you have them in the area). Don't forget you can smear peanut butter on the log too - many birds love this.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back