• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald eagles in USA during early June? (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I'm planning to be in the USA during early June and was wondering where the best locations for viewing bald eagles might be?

I'll be visiting Washington DC/Baltimore, Colorado and San Francisco. Is there a good chance of finding bald eagles in any of these places during this period or would I need to look elsewhere?

Many thanks...

In the DC/Baltimore area you have a good chance of seeing a Bald Eagle any time that you are near water. Your best bet is probably the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River in north-eastern Maryland.

Peak time is in early winter through early spring, but there are typically some eagles there year round.

More information here.

Mike

Bald Eagles are common year round in Colorado. Look at eBird > Explore Data > Bar Charts, select the counties or parks you will visit, then > map for specific locations. eBird is a fantastic planning tool once you figure out how it works. San Francisco doesn't look too promising for Bald Eagles.

Huntington Beach in South Carolina, just south of Myrtle Beach, is ripe with Bald Eagles.

I know it's not in your game plan but not so far from Maryland ;)

In the Washington DC area a great place to see eagles and osprey is at Dykes Marsh just 1 mile south of Old Town Alexandria, which is very close to DC. You can easily drive, bike, or catch a bus there 11Y express( only runs during rush hours). Go to the Belle Haven Marina and at the end of the pier an osprey currently has a nest. Walk the Dykes Marsh trail (very easy) and at end of the trail sit on bench and look south the eagles have a nest on a small (3-4) tree island. If you look north you can see they GW Monument in distance. The trail starts next to marina, right off Mount Vernon Trail, at George Washington Parkway and Bellvehaven road. Very safe friendly and popular area. They are active early to late morning nerar the marina since it has shallower water and lots of fish. Enjoy it.

Trevor

Hello and awesome anywhere up north Wisconsin go north a great area is Eagle River, Wisconsin and go to a local lake and there is sure to a handful along with Ospreys and Loons.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back