• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser or Greater Scaup (1 Viewer)

Kildale

Nature Guy
Canada
I have a problem ID'ing these ducks. Can anyone say which they are, the lesser or the greater. I have them marked as the lesser, but I can change, if I have too. Also is the lower one a male juvie as it doesn't have that white band above the bill.
LESSER or GREATER

I think this is a pretty tricky species pair and it's often hard to be certain from photos. I think, on balance, that you're right about all three being Lesser Scaup. I wondered about the middle bird but the bill pattern and coarse vermiculations would point more towards Lesser rather than Greater. I think you're also correct that the bottom bird is an immature drake.

Kildale said:
I have a problem ID'ing these ducks. Can anyone say which they are, the lesser or the greater. I have them marked as the lesser, but I can change, if I have too. Also is the lower one a male juvie as it doesn't have that white band above the bill.
LESSER or GREATER

I would say that all three are Lessers, with the lower one being a first winter male.
In Britain Lesser is a rarity and Greater is uncommon except in certain coastal areas.

Steve

agreed, all Lessers with the ageing and sexing as said.

Lesser Scaup in Europe is rare, as said above; but sometimes in Europe there are hybrids (mainly Tufted Duck X Common Pochard) with superficially similar appearance, but bill pattern (generally more black on tip than lesser scaup) eye colour (often orange, not yellow) and the very fine vermiculations on the back of such hybrids are giveaways in most cases.

Hi,

Another pointer for Lesser is the bump on the hind-crown.... Bit inconclusive on these photos, but all 3 birds appear to show this feature.

Fantastic pics, BTW....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back