• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iraq Camp Taji (1 Viewer)

Tatz13

Ok, where to start? Let me see, I arrived in Iraq August 09. My first camp was camp Taji around 20 miles north east of Baghdad. This area wasn’t very bird friendly, plenty of sparrows everywhere, collar doves and an abundance of black headed gulls. The gulls really surprised me being out in the desert, but I suppose we weren’t very far from the Tigris River. Now on occasion here, we also had visits from common Turns and the odd Little Tern. All of these we around the rubbish tip area of the camp. Further to the back of the camp we had water ponds. Here we had Mallards, Teal’s, Pochard’s , Coot’s and Moorhen’s. We had Lapwings and Plovers, but I couldn’t identify them exactly, they were very similar to the UK versions but just not the same if that makes sense? Lots of Crested Larks and Hooded Crows with the odd Rook. I suppose it wasn’t too bad for birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back