• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What species please (1 Viewer)

Lynne Anderson

I am a new member visiting from New Zealand. I stay with family in East Sussex. On my last visit I photographed this bird and have never been sure what it is. The photo was taken as you can see on the 17th July 2016 in a woodland near Plumpton in East Sussex. I wondered about a female or young black redstart? would appreciate your help.
(I think I have uploaded a photo - hope it worked) :)

Attachments

• IMG_1163 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1163 - Copy.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 228
I don't think it's a Black Redstart on general appearance, also the habitat and fact it's perched well inside the canopy of a shrub or tree is not typical to the general behaviour of the suggested species. My initial thought is perhaps a Garden Warbler.
Pat

Hi Lynne and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I moved your post to the ID forum, as I'm sure they'll put a name to your bird very quickly. Also, I've subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your time here with us. Sussex is such a beautiful county, isn't it... and New Zealand a beautiful country too, how I'd love to go there.

I second female Blackcap too.
With the Blackcap species, only the male's cap is black. The female's cap is brown. On this photo you can see the brown cap but its not showing too well.

Looks more like a whitethroat.....scrub that.....just looked on a bigger screen :-O

I'm sticking with female/juv Blackcap; no rufous on wings, and brown cap. It's in a willow, which is OK for either Blackcap or Whitethroat, but better for Blackcap :t:

Enhanced pic makes it a bit clearer:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back