• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few places to stay in East Africa. (1 Viewer)

Chris D

Hi. I've been away from this forum for a while and according to the head corrections officer at my previous accommodation , I've been rehabilitated. Ready for the world. I'd like to take my faithful wife to East Africa. Stay at a few spots. Not the fancy spots. Places with hyenas and baboons, and birds. Access if wished for a few drives, but that's not our thing. Enjoy being in rich landscapes, but not with the rich. We spent a month in Southern Ethiopia some years back. Incredible. Eager to have more time in the Rift Valley - but further south. Appreciate any thoughts about the above. Thanks........... Chris in Northern California

Attachments

• 13849_100475256645503_7403678_n.jpg
    13849_100475256645503_7403678_n.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Tanzania is reeeeaaalllly expensive. Uganda has more budget accomodation, multiple entry into national parks and cheaper entry. Self driving is doable in many Ugandan and Tanzanian parks but again better in Uganda. I can't comment on camping options but that would be an alternative. I don't know Kenya at all. Lived in Uganda in 2016-17 and now in Tanzania for a couple of years. Jump onto the Birding Tanzania Facebook group perhaps. Lots of experienced OS and local birders on there and few of them bite. There are similar forums for Uganda but they were not terribly active when I was on them.

Hi Chris, sounds like a wonderful idea and I'm sure you will both enjoy it. Having just returned from an independent trip to Ethiopia, I'd like to add another vote for Uganda, as it is an incredible country on many levels but totally different to the areas further north in the Rift. It can be done relatively cheaply, we did 10 days with all permits, car, flights, fuel, food etc for £5000 for two of us. Here is a link to my trip report, feel free to get in touch if you decide to go and have any questions.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back