• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rubber armor coming off? (1 Viewer)

ap307

Dear all,

Just received my Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL.

To my horror, I noted that the rubber armor appeared to be very poorly applied - it was noticeably raised at the bridge, and the rubber armor pieces towards the end of the barrels just came off when gently twisted.

To make matters worst, underneath the armor, one could definitely see that the finish on the metal was scratched off in places.

I assume this is not normal?

Best,
AP

Are they used / refurbished? If not, send em' back, sounds like someone's been monkeying around with them. Most of what you mention is def. not normal, although the FL rubber on the bridge does have a minute gap in it, but it doesn't lift up.

My experience is the Zeiss will handle the problem free of charge if you give them a chance. Call service. Let us know what happens.

Dear all,

Just received my Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL.

To my horror, I noted that the rubber armor appeared to be very poorly applied - it was noticeably raised at the bridge, and the rubber armor pieces towards the end of the barrels just came off when gently twisted.

To make matters worst, underneath the armor, one could definitely see that the finish on the metal was scratched off in places.

I assume this is not normal?

Best,
AP

AP:

Time to call you on this, as you are a new poster, I am sensing a "TROLL". :C

Zeiss does a very fine job with their optics, I find it hard to believe you could
lift up the armor to have a look.

Move on. Go play someplace else.

Last edited:
AP:

Zeiss does a very fine job with their optics, I find it hard to believe you could

NDhunter,

I'm attaching pictures of the binoculars. I almost let this go, but the rudeness and childishness of your e-mail called for a response.

I'm attaching three pictures:

1) One clearly shows scuffs to the metal finish beneath the rubber armor caps (that were poorly attached and slid right off)

2) One clearly shows the poor degree of attachment between the armor and the body of the bino near the bridge

3) One shows a red "X" on one of the ends of the binoculars. No idea if that means anything - if anyone has any ideas would love to hear them.

These were purchased brand new from an authorized on-line retailer (don't know if I'm allowed to name the vendor - Opticsplanet.com - happy to take it down if it violates one of the posting rules).

I was super excited about this purchase, and very grateful to the forum for the helpful advice (NDhunter's asinine comment aside), so this came as a real disappointment. At this point not sure whether to even bother with another pair if something so dreadfully awful somehow got past quality control. Either that, or the on-line vendor was trying to cheat me with a refurbished model, who knows. Either way, this experience, together with the other data point on this forum about the armor coming off make me a little weary about spending $2k on the same model again.

Cheers,
AP

Attachments

• DSC_1433.jpg
    DSC_1433.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC_1432.jpg
    DSC_1432.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC_1428.jpg
    DSC_1428.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Bummer. Have you talked to Zeiss USA yet?

They do come with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defect and this would seem to be one.

On the other hand I wondered how the armor came off these. And the objective tubes are metal, that's interesting as a big part of the enclosure is composite/plastic.

BTW, I own three FLs and the armor isn't coming off on any of them.

Talk to Zeiss I'm sure they'll see you right.

Bummer. Have you talked to Zeiss USA yet?

They do come with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defect and this would seem to be one.

On the other hand I wondered how the armor came off these. And the objective tubes are metal, that's interesting as a big part of the enclosure is composite/plastic.

BTW, I own three FLs and the armor isn't coming off on any of them.

Talk to Zeiss I'm sure they'll see you right.

Yeah, total bummer.

No, haven't spoken to Zeiss yet - will return this pair, so not sure what talking to Zeiss will accomplish?

Something is fishy - it looks to me like either the on-line store or Zeiss tried to peddle a refurbished bino as new. How else to explain the scratches on the metal finish or the red "x" mark?

I would contact the company which you purchased them off and forward the photos to them. In the UK you normally have comeback on the company within the first year and if they seem to be obstructive get onto the manufacturer to inform them of the rubbish customer services on one of their chosen stockists is...send a copy to the CEO if it comes to it.

In the US dont you have a better business bureau that might help with how to take up this complaint.

First stop should be the retailer who should immediately offer a refund/exchange then I'd ring Zeiss and check out the serial number to see if they can throw any light on the problem. In the UK Zeiss after-sales service is excellent and I would expect nothing less in the USA. I vaguely remember a thread about fakes being on the market from some time back?

I was super excited about this purchase, and very grateful to the forum for the helpful advice (NDhunter's asinine comment aside), so this came as a real disappointment. At this point not sure whether to even bother with another pair if something so dreadfully awful somehow got past quality control. Either that, or the on-line vendor was trying to cheat me with a refurbished model, who knows. Either way, this experience, together with the other data point on this forum about the armor coming off make me a little weary about spending $2k on the same model again.

This doesn't look like a pair that got past quality control at all. It also doesn't look like one that has been refurbished by Zeiss. Sure, there have been reports of the armouring coming off from time to time, and I've seen a a couple of pairs where the armouring peeled off, usually after years of use in hot climates, but I've never seen a pair with a badly scratched body underneath. I've had a few pairs repaired by Zeiss and I've seen a couple of refurbished pairs, but I've never seen a pair like this. Not after it had been repaired or refurbished by Zeiss. To me this looks like a pair that has been "repaired" or tampered with by someone who didn't know what he was doing or didn't have the right tools.

I'd ask the dealer for a straight exchange, and if the dealer proves to be difficult, I'd talk to Zeiss.

Hermann

AP:

Things don't change. This happened to my Zeiss *bgts 30 years ago. I sent them to Zeiss UK for a sticky focus wheel and they came back serviced and stuck down armouring, all under the 30 year guarantee.

I hesitate to "defend" anyone but...
http://www.opticsplanet.net/our-policy.html
Return it for cash or replacement.

In 2004 I purchased an Ultravid. The focus was "notchy" and the bridge seized several times during the next two years, rendering IPD adjustment nearly impossible. The focus improved and I spent considerable time "lubricating" the bridge. In the end, all was well and I logged countless hours with the instrument.

Soon after I purchased a handpicked Swarovision the focus wheel began to fail. Swarovski said forget about repairs, here's a new one, we'll use yours for parts. I can't say enough good things about the SV...it's truly phenomenal.

Nikon shipped EDG bins with jumpy diopters and loose bridges.

That takes care of Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski and Nikon, all alpha players in the $2000 (USD) and over range.

Personally, I've received outstanding service from Nikon, Leica and Swarovski. I never owned a Zeiss, but friends who have report excellent service.

NDhunter,

I'm attaching pictures of the binoculars. I almost let this go, but the rudeness and childishness of your e-mail called for a response.

I'm attaching three pictures:

1) One clearly shows scuffs to the metal finish beneath the rubber armor caps (that were poorly attached and slid right off)

2) One clearly shows the poor degree of attachment between the armor and the body of the bino near the bridge

3) One shows a red "X" on one of the ends of the binoculars. No idea if that means anything - if anyone has any ideas would love to hear them.

These were purchased brand new from an authorized on-line retailer (don't know if I'm allowed to name the vendor - Opticsplanet.com - happy to take it down if it violates one of the posting rules).

Cheers,
AP

AP:

I was out of line in my comments, and I should not have made them. The pics
do show some large problems, and seem very unusual. I hope you get those
replaced.
Sorry.

Jerry

A refurbished binocular would look better than that one I would think. I purchased a refurbished Nikon 10 x 32 EII that looked brand new. Even as a Demo, this binocular is particularly ugly! This one looks like a binocular that was being prepared to be sent back to Zeiss for refurbishing! Maybe that explains the red "x."
Bob

Last edited:
The red 'X' on the binocular body has no sinister implications.

Marks like this are often put there during the manufacturing process and I have seen them on binocuars from a number of different manufacturers.

I have seen letters, numbers and symbols of many types. They are simply a way for the assemblers to identify matched body halves, eg. coating colour, collimation, etc., during assembly.

Stop payment on your credit card. It’s defective merchandise, you don’t have to pay for it. If & when the problem’s resolved you can always re-authorize payment.

Yeah, total bummer.

No, haven't spoken to Zeiss yet - will return this pair, so not sure what talking to Zeiss will accomplish?

Something is fishy - it looks to me like either the on-line store or Zeiss tried to peddle a refurbished bino as new. How else to explain the scratches on the metal finish or the red "x" mark?

I didn't realize you had just bought them. Send them back for replacement or a refund.

You don't have any evidence for them being refurbs. My bins (all ex-demos) may have the scratches on the metal finish and a red x under the armor but I can't see them.

How did the armor come off?

Something that may point to a refurb unit is the ''z'' symbol on the front of the bridge is crooked. Mine is perfectly aligned and every other FL I have seen has been the same. It does not move with the IPD setting.

Not sure if this is reliable or not but suggests that this cover was removed.

They defo dont look brand new, I would either cancel payment, Get a refund, Ask the shop what was going on and report the problem too Zeiss. I'm guessing here but the last person too touch the binoculars before yourself should be quality control so they should be perfect. Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back