• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changes to the British List? (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Was flicking through a borrowed copy of Elite Birder magazine and came across an interesting article. For the benefit of all who do not read this august publication I'll share the gist of it here.

A study conducted by Professor Broma-Grande working from the Biscayan port of Caca del Toro has established that a significant proportion of migratory birds make use of vessels and man made structures during sea crossings. While many birds do make the crossing unaided it is the inability of observers to tell which individual migrants have received human assistance that clouds the issue. It is this uncertainty that has prompted some to recommend the downgrading of all migratory passerines and some non passerines from Cat A to Cat D of the British List.

Ms Pia Salford-Loy BS, representing a prominent birding group has endorsed the findings and will propose wholesale changes in a forthcoming meeting. Species ranging from Blackbird to Bobolink could be affected in an effort to achieve a level of consistency and maintain the integrity of the British List. A final statement is to be released on the 31st of April.

Could be something of a bonus for the Tippex industry.

James.

Was flicking through a borrowed copy of Elite Birder magazine and came across an interesting article. For the benefit of all who do not read this august publication I'll share the gist of it here.

A study conducted by Professor Broma-Grande working from the Biscayan port of Caca del Toro has established that a significant proportion of migratory birds make use of vessels and man made structures during sea crossings. While many birds do make the crossing unaided it is the inability of observers to tell which individual migrants have received human assistance that clouds the issue. It is this uncertainty that has prompted some to recommend the downgrading of all migratory passerines and some non passerines from Cat A to Cat D of the British List.

Ms Pia Salford-Loy BS, representing a prominent birding group has endorsed the findings and will propose wholesale changes in a forthcoming meeting. Species ranging from Blackbird to Bobolink could be affected in an effort to achieve a level of consistency and maintain the integrity of the British List. A final statement is to be released on the 31st of April.

Could be something of a bonus for the Tippex industry.

James.

I'm not taking Blackbird off my British life list for anybody, Professor or not;)

Futhermore James, the group is suggesting categorising the methods of man-made assistance viz.:

Cat A: container ships and cruise liners
Cat B: gas and oil transports (but not if the octane content is less than 92)
Cat C: yachts, pleasure craft and coracles
Cat D1: flotsam (but not jetsam)
Cat D2: jetsam (but not flotsam)
Cat E: floating objects of indeterminable nature

The professor's proposal is that, until a vagrant bird's method of transport is known, it should be moved to a remote part of the British list (known as the Stationary Cupboard), from whence it will not move until evidence of its transportation method is discovered.

Ultimately, birds such as Chinese Pond Herons will be referred to as Cat E Cat A MMA, once the evidence of arrival on our shores is clear.

Peter

Somebody told me this monring that Eastern Towhee was on the Bristish List!

I assumed it was just an April fool.

cheers, a

Not an April Fool, there was a Dutch seawatching boat which carried a bunch of tree branches on the North Sea to attract migrating songbirds.

So there is a project of RSPB to equip gas platforms on the sea around Britain with potted tree branches, bird feeders and automatic cameras to count landing migrants, including any possible vagrants. There were already pictures on Surfbirds like four Little Buntings perching together on a railing of an offshore platform.

Ah if only it was all true and I could start printing off application forms for the UK200 club.

James.

Ah, but with modern technology it wouldn't take long to get it back up over 400:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-stop-flight-lasting-three-days-10147241.html

...though, of course to tick Willow Warbler, you'd have to see one fitted with a recording device which proved it had flown non-stop from Africa :eek!:

Seriously though, I think the Blackpoll study just proves what we all (British birders at least) thought was the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back