• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix GX9 for birds (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello

usually its considered as street photography camera, but i found what i want in it so i took it to replace my dead OM Dem 5 markII. the price is nice as i got it with the 12-60 mm and an original grip, extra battery and an extreme pro sandisk 32.

since i received it, its being unusually cloudy and rainy here in Jeddah, it made me think why i did not get a weather sealed G9 its only 300 USD more, but then i have a moto, never by an expensive camera, save you money for a good lens.

Gloomy days call for high ISO like 800 and 1600 (high for me :-O) and the noise seem to be negligible.

the IBIS works well with the Zuiko 300mm f4 pro, but the AF did not work when i used the Olympus 1.4 TC. did not try it on MF.

Did not get use to the menus and the icons. but until now i think they are easy and quite smart, and once you set them to your liking you may not need to go to the main menu again.

here is one of the first day shots.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/45652294551/in/dateposted-public/

and this is a little video i made form two clips and a few shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_wrx7lFlU

until now i am happy, i will put more images soon.

Good for you, I chose the G85 as the less expensive alternative. I have so far been in more gloomy environments, so I have allowed it to go to iso 6400, and decent post processing it still works.

Niels

Thanks for sharing these. Regarding the second post of two images, I actually prefer the first (the female). To my eyes and taste, the contrast on the male seems a little excessive. On the other hand, if that is what you prefer, I would up the contrast slightly, either in post (PC) or in camera if you use straight out of camera jpgs.

Niels

Thanks for sharing these. Regarding the second post of two images, I actually prefer the first (the female). To my eyes and taste, the contrast on the male seems a little excessive. On the other hand, if that is what you prefer, I would up the contrast slightly, either in post (PC) or in camera if you use straight out of camera jpgs.

Niels

yes both are jpeg as all my images.

i also liked the female shot, but i find the details more sharp on the males shot, is it because of the lower ISO value?

I just looked at both pictures again. It might be that the higher iso has led to a stronger use of noise reduction inside the camera. I may also be as I hinted that the contrast and sharpening processing inside the cameras are slightly different.

Niels

An illustration of the effect of iso: the attached screenshot is of comparison of two images in immediate succession, the left at 1600 the other at 4000 iso. Both are straight out of camera jpgs. I feel I can clearly see the negative effects of letting the camera handle high iso images without my input, especially on the right hand bird.

I usually take jpg plus raw, and the raw version of the left image was processed to this final form: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/616171/limit/recent

Other tech details: Pana G85 with PanaLeica 100-400 at 318 mm.

Niels

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 207
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back