• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (3 Viewers)

"Buteo Martini"

James, I think you can justly forget all about the German obstetrician "Prof. Edouard Martin (1809-1877)" ...

I´ve got the proper Monsieur Édouard Martin.

Hardy himself mentioned him, in a letter to des Murs, published in February 1861 ... (here, with a tiny added accent, as below, in the long foot-note on p. 54, here):

(1) Mon concitoyen Édouard Martin, chasseur aussi liabile et intrépide qu’exact observateur. De la Russie, qu’il habite depuis longtemps, il m’a envoyé de curieuses et intéressantes notes, principalement sur les Oiseaux du gouvernement de Perm, aux monts Ourals, et, au milieu d’une collection d’espèces portant le cachet de ces climats singuliers, tous les états et les œufs d’une petite Buse à teinte de rouille, dont j’avais déjà procuré à M. Degland un exemplaire jeune, venant de Kalouga. Je communiquai notes et Oiseaux à cet ami ; la petite Buse ne répondait ni au texte ni à la figure de la B. Tachardus de le Vaillant, et l’excellent auteur de l’Ornithologie européenne s’empressa, par reconnaissance et sur mon invitation, d'enregistrer la race ou nouvelle espèce sous le nom de Buteo Martini, dans un supplément qu’il allait terminer, quand une mort prématurée l’enleva, le 1er janvier 1856, à notre affection. Cette œuvre posthume, savamment complétée et transformée en deuxième édition par le dévouement tout filial de l’une de nos célébrités zoologiques, est attendue avec une impatience d’autant plus grande, que la première édition parait épuisée depuis longtemps.

L’année dernière, Édouard Martin m’envoyait de sa chasse deux additions à faire au catalogue européen, Picus Feliciæ (Malherbe), Picoides crissoleucus? (Brandt).

= Édouard Martin, French Zoologist, collector, "Professor of the University of Ekaterinburg" (as of post #58), etc., etc. ...

Good luck finding his Years!

Björn

PS: And; beware of any typos, in the (French) quote above! I'm just typing away ... ;)
--

Last edited:
Great find Björn :t:

I however do have a problem with :
Quick translation of the note:

"My fellow citizen Édouard Martin, a hunter as skilful and fearless as an accurate observer. From Russia, where he resides since a long time, he has sent me curious and interesting notes, mainly about the birds of the Perm Governorate, in the Ural Mountains, and, in the midst of a collection of species bearing the stamp of these singular climates, all the states and the eggs of a small rusty-toned buzzard, of which I had already procured to M. Degland a young specimen from Kaluga. I communicated notes and birds to this friend; the little buzzard did not match the text or figure of Le Vaillant's B. Tachardus, and the excellent author of the Ornithologie européenne was quick, by gratitude and at my invitation, to register the race or new species under the name of Buteo Martini, in a supplement which he was about to finish, when an untimely death took him, on 1 January 1856, from our affection. This posthumous work, skilfully completed and transformed into a second edition by the filial devotion of one of our zoological celebrities, is awaited with great impatience, the first edition appearing out of print since a long time."

In this text, the person that Hardy calls a friend, and who died on 1 Jan 1856, is Côme-Damien Degland, author of Ornithologie européenne -- first ed. published in 1849; second ed., co-authored by Zéphirin Gerbe, published after his death in 1867. Not Édouard Martin, thus.

(...And thus not the same "friend" as the "devoted friend" ("ami dévoué") of the main text, which is indeed Édouard Martin. Which admittedly makes the whole thing potentially confusing.)

Last edited:
Thanks, Laurent!

I have deleted the "d. 1856" part. I really should stay away from these French texts ... ;)

And I have to admit that I couldn't really understand it, not in context with the last piece; "L’année dernière, Édouard Martin m’envoyait ..."

The search goes on!

Björn

True, Martin, I wouldn't follow the trace of Mr Edward (alt. "Edouard") Martin (the guy with the Mines, in Wales), in the early 1900's ...

Note that Martin is not an uncommon surname, nor is "our" Édouard Martin to be confused with the French dramatist alt. playwright (dramaturge) Édouard Martin, i.e. Édouard Joseph Martin, (1825–1866).

I think we ought to stick with the more hardy Russian (and Hardy) connection ... ;)
-

Last edited:
Sure just thought of it as it was written in a natural history book Nouveau dictionnaire d'histoire naturelle, appliquée aux arts, à l'agriculture, à l'économie rurale et domestique, à la médecine, etc.. And of course I have seen Édouard Joseph Martin, (1825–1866) as well.

P. c. hildamariae.

Barbatula jacksoni Sharpe 1897: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/32475561
Now Pogoniulus bilineatus jacksoni (Sharpe 1897).

Mathews' name https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40498131 seems OK to me as well -- thus Sclater 1938 was presumably a mere subsequent use.

κορυφαία is a noun, thus coryphaea doesn't need to agree in gender with Pogoniulus.
Thank you Laurent.
The IOC use WL Sclater 1938.
“but shouldn't the author stay as Sclater?” I was thinking P. c. hildamariae WL Sclater 1934?
Recommendation 50C. Authorship of excluded or unavailable names. When it is desirable, for bibliographic or other reasons, to refer to an excluded [Art. 1.3] or unavailable name, the authorship should be attributed to the person who published it with that status, unless that author cited some other person as the originator (for citation and examples see Recommendation 51F).
Sclater 1930 he mentions a specimen of A. Reichenow. Is there any Hilda-marie in his orbit Mathews might have been aware of?
Karl Jordan (1861-1959) at Tring working for Rothschild/Hartert had a daughter Hilda.

Last edited:
hildamariae

hildamariae as in:
• the (Western Green-Tinkerbird) subspecies Pogoniulus coryphaea hildamariae MATHEWS 1934 as "Barbatula hildamariæ" (here and here), no explanation, no dedication, simply listed as a new name for "B. jacksoni Sclater, 1930, not [the "Barbatula jacksoni", today's Pogoniulus bilineatus jacksoni" by] Sharpe, 1897".

If we follow Avibase's reference (here, brand new look, by the way), which isn't the very first use of the name hildamariae (!), but to the later (posthumous) work The Birds of Kenya colony and the Protectorate of Uganda (1938), by (the late) Sir Frederick J. [John] Jackson (1860–1929) and William Lutley Sclater (1863–1944), who completed and edited the three volumes.

This (large) work (unseen by me) was obviously, apparently in progress when Mathews, prior to its publication, coined the name hildamariae. But like Laurent noted, in this major Work, I would think "hildamariae" was simply "a mere subsequent use" of the name. The scholar W. L. Sclater seems to have been a guy who meticulously kept himself up-to-date with all novelties in ornithology/taxonomy. I´m pretty sure he knew of Mathews's replacement name ...

However, even if he had missed it (which I strongly doubt) William Lutley Sclater had no children of his own that could have been the dedicatee. His (American, widow) wife Charlotte Mellen Stephenson had two earlier Sons, but no girls, and certainly no Hilda (Marie/Maria/Mary), nor is such a person found in the Sclater Family as whole, the closest I could find is a distant (Anne) Mary, but she was born in 1952 ... (according to; here).

Neither could I find a Girl/Woman/Lady/Female with such a name, or names, in closest circle surrounding Sir Jackson, nor of Rosenberg.

Thereby; with no out-spoken dedication (and with no verification, nor any further evidence to back it up) I would think, assume that the best candidate for Mathews bird/name (from 1934) would be Richard Bowdler Sharpe's 9th daughter (out of ten!): Hilda Marion Ford née Sharpe (born 1884, .. who´d married Benjamin Ford in 1812).
Several of these daughters were engaged in the skilled and tedious work of colouring natural history prints, particularly in bird books. All the efforts expended on an illustrated book by the author, artist and printer could be ruined by the hand colourers of the plates. Their work was crucial to the success of the book (though they are often not mentioned or given any thanks or credit in authors' prefaces).

[Christine E. Jackson, 1994, p,265, here]​
Maybe Mathews considered that Hilda Marion did deserve some Credit!? As a bird of her own ... that is, of course, if such a latinization is thinkable/possible!?

But if it truly was aimed for her? Who knows?

Take this possibility for whatever it's worth ... if anything? And, please, don't quote me on this one ...

It´s nothing but a guess.

Björn

PS. Mark, how was Karl Jordan involved?.

hildamariae

Not making "my case" any stronger (though not any weaker), but, if nothing else, simply worth a look (for some nice illustrations) ...

Richard Bowdler Sharpe was ZSL’s first Librarian, appointed in 1867. He was a noted ornithologist. He had 10 daughters and at least nine of these acted as colourists in several beautiful and informative zoological titles. There was a market for beautifully illustrated books at that time and these women were valued but the artists of many of these works as they took such care in using the correct colours which are particularly important in identifying birds. The daughters were Ada Lavinia, Eva Augusta, Lilian Bertha, Dora Louise, Lena Violet, Daisy Madeline, Sylvia Rosamund, Hilda Marion, Aimee Marjorie.

[ZSL (Zoological Society of London) blog: Women, art and zoology: Celebrating International Women’s Day with female artists and illustrators (from 6th of March, 2017), here]​
Enjoy!

/B

The IOC use WL Sclater 1938.
So does H&M4, actually, with an explanatory footnote reading:
For reasons to set aside the earlier usage of this name by Mathews (1934) [1529] see Opinion 138 (I.C.Z.N., 1928 [1165].)
Opinion 138 (which was actually published in 1939, not '1928') is this: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/34676414
This is an Opinion rendered by the Commission about how to interpret Art. 25 of the nomenclatural code as adopted at the Budapest Congress of 1927, which (it seems -- I don't think this code is online and I have not seen it) stipulated that 'a definite bibliographic reference' to the name to be replaced was needed in such cases. The Commission ruled that an expressions such as 'La Touche, 1922' was not to be interpreted as a definite bibliographic reference, which made replacement names proposed after 1930 in the way Mathews proposed hildamariae nomina nuda. However:
86.3. Force of previous Rules and Codes. The rules governing zoological nomenclature contained in former editions of the International Rules of Zoological Nomenclature and of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, and any amendments affecting the Code, have no force unless reaffirmed in this edition, and then only as herein expressed.
The current Code includes nothing that looks remotely like a requirement of 'a definite bibliographic reference' for the availability of nomina nova. (In the first ed. of the modern ICZN, this was relegated to the "General Recommentions" appended at the end of the Code: [ICZN 1961: 145, Appendix E, #15]. Neither recommendations, nor appendices are part of the legal text of the Code (in the current ed.: ICZN 89.2): no name can be deemed unavailable on the mere account that it fails to comply to them. In the fourth, and current ed. of the ICZN, this isn't even a recommendation any more.) The requirements of the Budapest code, and with them any Opinion that was a mere interpretation of some of these requirements (unless it resulted in the placement of some name or work on the Official List or Index), are wholly irrelevant to the availability of a name under the current rules.

There is no question that hildamariae must be attributed to Mathews (the person who published it in a way making it available); not to Sclater.

Last edited:
P. c. hildamariae
I agree with the argument that hildamariae Mathews 1934 is righht. An unexpected turn.
Hemming secretary of the Commission in July 1948 said: Two cases have already arisen where words have been inserted into this Article (at Budapest in 1927) which have had the effect of invalidating a large number of names for purely technical reasons. These cases are : —
(i) the expression " definite bibliographical reference " in phrase (2) of
Proviso (c), as interpreted (perfectly logically) by the Commission in
Opinion 138 ;
In the first of these cases the effect of the wording used is to invalidate any name proposed as a substitute name for {nom. nov. pro) some invalid name, unless the author proposing the substitute name cites not only the name to be replaced and its author but also the date of publication of the name to be replaced, the title of the work or journal in which the name to be replaced was first published and the page of that work or journal in which the name appeared. It is clearly most desirable that such particulars should always be given and it is highly desirable that there should be a " Recommandation " attached to Article 25 enjoining this practice. But it is equally clear that it is most undesirable that a substitute name should be rendered unavailable under the Law of Priority if by chance the author proposing it fails to give one of the detailed bibliographical particulars specified above. The Commission and the Congress have been severely criticised by many zoologists for the " ritualism " inherent in this provision. This criticism must, I think, be accepted as well directed. The Commission will accordingly be invited to recommend the Congress to amend the foregoing provision in Article 25 in the sense indicated above.

Björn thanks for the suggestion of Hilda Marion Sharpe.
if such a latinization is thinkable/possible!?
. Remember we are speaking of Gregory Mathews!
Karl Jordan is tangentially involved because around this time Mathews was visiting Tring and sold his bird skin collection to Rothschild.

duphaa:
Key.
duphaa
Etymology undiscovered; perhaps an autochthonym; description unseen (McClelland 1837, Quart. Journ. Calcutta Med. Phys. Soc., I (iii), 322) (syn. Psittacula sp.).
I have not found the Quarterly Journal from 1837. But from publications of Griffith and McClelland they encountered a local tribal leader Dupha Gam. edit the Gam was the name for any local leader. The Dupha was a name of a people.
Journals of Travels in Assam, Burma, Bootan, Affghanistan and the Neighbouring Countries, Volume 2.
https://books.google.com/books?id=BjFGAAAAcAAJ&dq=duphaa+McClelland&source=gbs_navlinks_s .

Last edited:
duphaa (duphaä)

Good suggestion Mark! Either for the tribe or for their leader, in all likelihood (at least in my mind) a conceivable theory ...

The Quarterly journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society 1 (No. 3) was found by Martin a while ago (in May 2017), I guess James simply missed, or forgot, that one ;) ... in the long and lingering thread Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the library... (see post #62, here,), where we find P. "duphaä" (on p.322, or see attached jpg).

Though still no out-spoken explanation, nor dedication, found ...

Björn
--

Attachments

• P. duphaä.jpg
    P. duphaä.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Björn:
I believe McClelland uses the ä to signify ae. Thus the name is for the Dupha people. In older written English ä stood for ae. And ae at the end of a bird name is for female???

Bahila Hodgson
Earlier in another thread I reported the meaning of Bahila in Nepal as a barren woman. In an 1891 A Dictionary of the Economic Products of India it lists the meaning as a barren cow as oxen. From Wikipedia: Oxen are commonly castrated adult male cattle; castration makes the animals more docile and Cows (adult females) So in India if cows was not having calves they were put to work as a draft animal. In humans if a woman was barren they became painted ladies. (Handmaid’s Tale) These birds are very brightly colored. With red lips.

Palœornis vs Palæornis

Just a short detour from duphaa (duphaä) ... as of Post #115-118 (link to OD in #116).

Note that McClelland (in 1837) used the spelling Palœornis, for both cuculio and duphaë (i.e. Paloeornis, and not Palæornis) ... ? See attached jpg in #116.

Compare with the fonts in "Eurylaimus Dalhousiæ" (on p.321) ...

And, note that Blyth still used the spelling Palœornis in 1842 (as of here), in the text on the new Generic name "Psittinus (Nobis) ...". Compare with the (more squashed) ligatures used on the following page (p.790), for; "Rhinortha (Vigors,—Anadœnus, Swainson,) chlorophæa; Cuculus chlorophæus, Raffles, ...".

Aren't we dealing with PALÆORNIS, as coined by Vigors in 1825 (here) ... !?!?

Or was it just a typo by McClelland, alt. a Printers error (as in the Printshop having a hard time keeping those similar ligatures apart)?

Just curious ...

Björn

PS. Either way (even if only a subsequent erroneous spelling) Paloeornis is not listed in the Key (not even as a "Var."). The same goes for the Original spelling of duphaa (i.e. duphaë).
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back