• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Manyara NP Tanzania January 2020 -1 (1 Viewer)

A few birds that i would like to confirm ID.

1. Winding Cisticola
2. Could that be a Usambiro i think i see some green , maybe just a d,Arnaud,s
3-Baglafecht Weaver

Attachments

• Cisticola (TZ)DIR.jpg
    Cisticola (TZ)DIR.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Usambiro or D, arnauds Barbet.jpg
    Usambiro or D, arnauds Barbet.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 34
  • baglafecht  weaver.jpg
    baglafecht weaver.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 30
I'm not at all expert enough to be definite about the Barbet, so these are just comments.

Firstly, Usambiro should have a full black breastband - this is one of the features that distinguishes it from plain D'Arnaud's. But this bird doesn't.

(Also this bird has no red vent, a feature shared between the species, just a hint of orange in the vent area. Therefore I wonder if it is a young bird, and judgements of 'green-ness' might be delicate.)

(And, incidentally, I'm not convinced that the 'diffuse greenish wash' on the head is such a great ID feature; in my limited experience (I've seen both birds) the apparent head colouring depends very much on lighting conditions.)

Secondly, Usmabiro is not on the birdlist for Manyara. (The linked list does recognise the split, as Usambiro is on the Serengeti list.) The distribution area in Stevenson and Fanshawe also doesn't stretch to Manyara.

In Northern Tanzania, the ssp of D'Arnaud's should be boehmi, I think, which has a fully black (i.e. not just streaked) front to the head in the adult which is quite striking in full light. In this photo, however, this area is behind a branch, so it's difficult to judge. Usambiro has some black streaking in this area, which can look like a light black cap, but can also be invisible in bright light head on.

Thank you both.

McNara , agree ,i will keep the D'Arnaud's as registration only , i might get lucky as i still have a lot of pictures from Serengeti to classify .

Hi Rogerio,

I think you may be lucky with your photos from Serengeti. We saw Usambiro there in a couple of places.

Just for reference, here are some shots to show what I take to be the differences.

1. D'Arnaud's nominate (from Bogoria, western Kenya)

2. D'Arnaud's nominate, mating display pair (western Kenya)

3. D'Arnaud's boehmi - note the strong black throat and forehead patches (Samburu, central Kenya; this should be the ssp in Tanzania)

4 & 5 Usambiro - note the complete black breastband and the black bill both features which differentiate from D'Arnaud's (Serengeti, two different birds)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 130503196 Bogoria.jpg
    130503196 Bogoria.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 190428545 Kenya 2019.jpg
    190428545 Kenya 2019.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 130430245 Samburu.jpg
    130430245 Samburu.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 160102023 Serengeti.jpg
    160102023 Serengeti.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 160104045 Serengeti.jpg
    160104045 Serengeti.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi Rogerio,

I think you may be lucky with your photos from Serengeti. We saw Usambiro there in a couple of places.

Just for reference, here are some shots to show what I take to be the differences.

1. D'Arnaud's nominate (from Bogoria, western Kenya)

2. D'Arnaud's nominate, mating display pair (western Kenya)

3. D'Arnaud's boehmi - note the strong black throat and forehead patches (Samburu, central Kenya; this should be the ssp in Tanzania)

4 & 5 Usambiro - note the complete black breastband and the black bill both features which differentiate from D'Arnaud's (Serengeti, two different birds)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed explanation McNara really improving my learning,

Have a look on the birds i took pictures in Serengeti , in 4 different locations , they all look Usambiro for me.

Attachments

• Usambiro s  (TZ)_.jpg
    Usambiro s (TZ)_.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Usambiro 3(TZ)_.jpg
    Usambiro 3(TZ)_.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Usambiro 4(TZ)_.jpg
    Usambiro 4(TZ)_.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 9
  • Usambiro 5(TZ)_.jpg
    Usambiro 5(TZ)_.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Usambiro 6(TZ)_.jpg
    Usambiro 6(TZ)_.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back