• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coul Links planning permission for Golf Course refused (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Don’t know whether anyone else has heard today that planning permission has been refused for the golf course to be built at Coul Links by the Scottish Government. News on the RSPB website and elsewhere.
Ian.

You must be thrilled! Hadn't been aware of this till I read the thread.
Remember covering this area on a visit to Dornoch many years ago and found the birdlife around Embo to Loch Fleet to be thriving[ some Otters too near Embo].

Hi Pratincol

I am delighted - it's not often nature wins against the mighty dollar. Glad you have experienced the area and know what is at stake, and what there is to lose. Not over yet though, as they can still appeal. Hopefully the SNP have learned from the previous Trump golf course in Aberdeen debacle, which has of course now lost its preservation status, and counts the cost in wildlife, never mind the people who didn't actually want to sell their houses, but were forced out by that mighty dollar.

Hi Pratincol

I am delighted - it's not often nature wins against the mighty dollar. Glad you have experienced the area and know what is at stake, and what there is to lose. Not over yet though, as they can still appeal. Hopefully the SNP have learned from the previous Trump golf course in Aberdeen debacle, which has of course now lost its preservation status, and counts the cost in wildlife, never mind the people who didn't actually want to sell their houses, but were forced out by that mighty dollar.

Keep us in touch with any appeals or further developments.
Just found this report I did from a visit a few years ago.. It includes the area which would have been affected by the golf course.

Report:
Thanks to those who provided information.
Just got back-what a lovely area!
Highlight of the week:four otters feeding at Embo Pier.

I really enjoyed the birdwatching. We walked to Embro every day and carried on to Loch Fleet on one day.
The best area was just before Embo Pier from Dornoch.
Counted 19 Long Tailed Duck[ all numbers maximum seen]
242 Eider
1 Black Guillemot
1 Shag
3 Cormorant
1 Greater Black Back Gull
2 Grey Heron
6 Curlew
1 Red Breasted Merganser
8 Gannet
2 Bar tail Godwit
16 Redshank
10 Turnstone
12 Oystercatcher
1 Dunlin
4 Rock Pipit
4 Meadow Pipit
18 Linnet
2 Pied Wagtail
4 Hooded Crow
A huge mixed flock of Herring Gull,Common Gull and Black headed Gull.
Another bird watcher saw some Sanderling on this walk.He also found some Yellowhammer and a Stonechat near the car Park on the edge of the beach near the caravan site by the Royal Dornoch club house.

Walking from Dornoch to Loch Fleet.We went along the coastal path to the pier thence inland via the caravan site.Skirting Embro we located a path on the right hand bend on the edge of Embo.This path leads to Loch Fleet.We returned to Embo then took the old railway track path back to Durnoch.
3 Stonechat
1 Yellowhammer
1 Blue Tit
1 Great Tit
Several Robin
2 Mistle Thrush
4 Greenfinch
4 Meadow Pipit
1 Reed Bunting
120 Linnet near Loch Fleet and another flock of 80 on the way back near Embo.
There was a mixture of Lapwing,Redshank,Mallard,Red Breasted Merganser[one],Curlew,and Greylag at Loch Fleet
A Grey Seal was seen here too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back