Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The start of the nesting business!

Old Thursday 24th February 2005, 08:00   #1
madmike

The start of the nesting business!

Hi there,
I've just this minute seen a female Blackbird on my fence with a mouthfull of grass, so I guess she must be starting a nest! Is this a first!!
I must say that it's fairly mild down here with no snow!
Needless to say my camera was not ready as I thought I've taken enough 'Robin with a worm' photos for this week!

madmike

Last edited by madmike : Thursday 24th February 2005 at 18:51.
Old Thursday 24th February 2005, 20:06   #2
Al livsey

Hello madmike.
I've seen plenty of blackbirds, but none nest building. There's a few Magpie nests on my local patch, and Crows are nest building too.
Whereabouts are Blackbird nests anyway? in the trees or at ground level?

Al.
Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 11:33   #3
helenol

Any news on the blackbirds building a nest?
Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 11:43   #4
Nina P
Nina

Hi Mike I have a pair nesting and they are taking mealworms like mad from the table in the front garden, but exactly where they are nesting is not clear, but I think they are over the road in the shelter of the Hazel belt at the side of the road, as they disappear over there with beaks full of worms, I did think they had been nesting before the snows and cold weather arrived. They must have snuggled down well as they are obviously feeding the first brood now. Mostly Mr Blackbird on the table and filling his beak, with Mrs having a stint about midday, so the hatching must have been taking place during the worst of the bad weather.
Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 11:57   #5
Ronald Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al livsey
Whereabouts are Blackbird nests anyway? in the trees or at ground level?

Al.
Al

A couple of years ago I came out of my doctor's practice when I saw a female Blackbird at the edge of the pavement with food in her mouth (I forgot what).

When she saw me she stopped, looked at me and waited till I had walked away. Then when I was about 5 metres away she flew into a bush or shrub that grew there next to the groundlevel windows.

I waited till she left the nest and then returned to have a quick look, the nest was well hidden about 1.80 metres from the ground.
Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:18   #6
Al livsey

Thanks for that Ronald, now i know where to look.

Al.
Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 22:15   #7
Johnny1

A pair of Robins have been nest building in my garden, I first noticed them on Monday. I posted a pic in the "whats in your garden" thread. By the way I mowed my lawn for the first time this year today!! It was rolled up shirt sleeve weather here today.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: