Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird box exposed to sun?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 14th April 2013, 10:44   #1
El CID

Bird box exposed to sun?

I have a garden bird box attached to a fence where a couple of wrens are setting up home.
The box has no shade between 10.30am & 2.30pm, in the inlikely event of sunshine occurring in the UK would it be wise to shield or maybe put a foil cover on the roof to reflect any heat.
Old Sunday 14th April 2013, 14:17   #2
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by El CID View Post
I have a garden bird box attached to a fence where a couple of wrens are setting up home.
The box has no shade between 10.30am & 2.30pm, in the inlikely event of sunshine occurring in the UK would it be wise to shield or maybe put a foil cover on the roof to reflect any heat.
Couldn't hurt I guess but I would be chary of making changes of any kind to the appearance of the box until the wrens are well settled in. It generally takes very little in the way of disturbance to cause birds to abandon their nests early in the breeding cycle; later on, once the clutch has been completed, or better yet the eggs have hatched, they're much less likely to desert.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th April 2013, 17:41   #3
El CID

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Couldn't hurt I guess but I would be chary of making changes of any kind to the appearance of the box until the wrens are well settled in. It generally takes very little in the way of disturbance to cause birds to abandon their nests early in the breeding cycle; later on, once the clutch has been completed, or better yet the eggs have hatched, they're much less likely to desert.
Yes your right, the last thing I want to do is disturb the wrens, they are quite shy anyway.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: