• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Illinois Aug 2020 Shorebirds (1 Viewer)

Please help with these ids.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 346.JPG
    346.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 230.JPG
    230.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 256.JPG
    256.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 146.JPG
    146.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 329.JPG
    329.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 42
My immediate thoughts were:
Least sandpiper (yellow legs)
Semipalmated sand (e.g. bill shape)
?perhaps Western sandpiper (bill shape but had colour makes me doubt this unless it's staining)
Shape etc suggests Baird's sandpiper but I think we need a better photo to be sure
Lesser yellow-legs (thin bill etc)

Agree with the above

They’re all juveniles except you can’t tell age for #4

Agree on all accounts Tom (and Birdmeister!) - I thought Bairds too for 2-3 (but I thought with an untrained eye, they looked a bit similar to juvenile White-rumped too so wasn’t entirely sure and held back but subsequently decided on the former!)

Last edited:
Agree on all accounts Tom (and Birdmeister!) - I thought Bairds too for 2-3 (but I thought with an untrained eye, they looked a bit similar to juvenile White-rumped too so wasn’t entirely sure and held back but subsequently decided on the former!)

Yes 3 is better for strongly coloured Baird's: I was misled by deceptively short winged appearance in photo (think you meant Baird's for 3-4 rather than 2-3: 2 clearly isn't).

So in summary:
Least
Semipalmated
Baird's
Baird's
Lesser yellow-legs

Yes 3 is better for strongly coloured Baird's: I was misled by deceptively short winged appearance in photo (think you meant Baird's for 3-4 rather than 2-3: 2 clearly isn't).

So in summary:
Least
Semipalmated
Baird's
Baird's
Lesser yellow-legs

This was my first impression.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back