• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers; Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula (1 Viewer)

Livetowander

I'm having a hard time identifying these flycatchers seen in Mexico (September 2020). Thanks for taking a look!

Seen in Quintana Roo:
P1450676.JPG

P1450697.JPG

Seen in Cozumel:
P1490345.JPG

P1490351.JPG

Thanks Larry, will research the tyrannulet. At the time I had thought the other was an Eastern kingbird, but while reviewing the pictures the yellow in the belly confused me.

The yellow on the belly could easily be reflected light from leaves below the bird.

Niels

I'd go for Yellow-bellied Elaenia on the first bird. Small headed / large eyed look of an Elaenia, the distinct teardrops on the wing bars, longer bird, dumpy body, longer tail, blanker facial expression with a more complete eye ring... maybe I'm missing something but my first impression screamed Elaenia and now I cannot unsee it. Happy to be corrected though if I'm out in the weeds on this one.

I'd go for Yellow-bellied Elaenia on the first bird. Small headed / large eyed look of an Elaenia, the distinct teardrops on the wing bars, longer bird, dumpy body, longer tail, blanker facial expression with a more complete eye ring... maybe I'm missing something but my first impression screamed Elaenia and now I cannot unsee it. Happy to be corrected though if I'm out in the weeds on this one.

Yeah, sounds good too! Especially your observation about the spotty wingbars. Easier in the field, as one's twice the size of the other!

Last edited:
I don't know what the first bird is. I get stuck with an impression of a bird that is very young or for other reasons not fully plumaged in the head. Is that just me?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back