• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Microcerculus bambla caurensis von Berlepsch & Hartert, 1902 (1 Viewer)

Also note/compare with the "Thryothorus griseipectus caurensis subsp. nov." (in the same paper).

To me, in that case, the sole senctence (on p.7): "The specimens from the Caura River ..." would be enough to explain the etymology of caurensis.

And certainly with the following echo (on p.8):
Hab. Caura River, type [male] Nicara, 12. i. 1901.
La Union, Caura R. [River] ...
La Pricion, Caura R. [ditto] ...
Nicare, Caura R. [ditto] ...

It's also mentioned in bold, as the "Caura River", in the very intro of the paper.

Sorry, I don't get it. To me, it's pretty obvious, from the OD itself, that those birds were named after the [River] Río Caura. Why the doubt, Martin?

What's different with the (Wing-banded) Wren ssp.?

Björn

PS. Either way; in Paynter's Ornithological gazetteer of Venezuela (1982) you will find both; the Río Caura (on p.38, here), and its smaller tributary Río Nichare (on p.42, here, i.e. the one written "Nicare", by Berlepsch & Hartert, or even; "Nicara", on p.8).

PPS. Thereby, James; how sure are you that "Nicare is on the Rio Caura" ...
Wouldn't it be odd for a River to be on a River? ;) [Or even on a Río]
--

Last edited:
I have not tried to look into this, but a Nicare hamlet on the confluence of the rivers?

Niels

The difference is in the OD:
Habitat in regione fl. Orinoco or, : distr. Caura
For me not the river.
I might have been a bit to quick with my remark, Martin.

As both the rivers "Nicare, Caura" [i.e. the river/s Nichare, and Caura] seems to flow through the "Caura district" in the state (estudo) Bolívar, Venezuela, I'd say you may have a point. It could, alt./or even would, be in line with the title of this Paper: "Mammals from the Caura District of Venezuela". That is, of course, if there is, or ever was, such a local place/region/area (either officially, or traditionally)?!?

Maps; here and here.

But, even more important; how sure are you on the very basis for your reasoning, the line of argument, and the interpretation itself, of those (seemingly Latin) abbreviations, in that certain sentence (from the OD); "Habitat in regione fl. Orinoco or. : distr. Caura." ...?

Are you dead certain of the true meanings of the; "fl. ...", or.", and the "distr. ..." parts?

Possibly as in; fl[luit] (flows), "or." (originem?), and either; distr[ict], or/alt. distr[ibutio]/distr[ibution]?

Couldn't it simply be the latter?!

However, I´m pretty sure that even the (supposed, suggested) "district Caura" got its name from the Río Caura.

/B
--

Last edited:
Río Caura & Río Nichare

Martin, simply to be on the safe side, I had yet another quick look at caurensis, even if I myself never (prior to this thread) had any reason what-so-ever to doubt the etymology of it, ... and I (still) think we can all rest assured.

If you're still in doubt (which I expect, as you haven't replied); for the Type of today's Wing-banded Wren ssp. Microcerculus bambla caurensis BERLEPSCH & HARTERT 1902, i.e. the "Microcerculus caurensis" (as in/of your first link in post #1, pp.5–6), see; Types of Birds in the Tring Museum, by Ernst Hartert himself (1922), in Novitates Zoologicae 29, No.2:
880. Microcerculus caurensis Berl. & Hart. = Microcerculus caurensis.
Microcerculus caurensis Berlepsch & Hartert, Nov. Zool. ix, p. 5 (1902— Nicare, Caura River, tributary of Orinoco).
Type:
[female], Nicare, Caura R., 18.1.1901. E. André leg. Perhaps subspecies of M. bambla.

[here, or/alt. here]​
Confirming that caurensis was, and is, originating from the (River) Río Caura.

Regarding the pure sidetrack, or mere clue "Nicare"/"Nicara" (in trying to pinpoint the exact type location), and my assertion that it ought to be the River/Río Nichare, a ditto confirmation is found in Mary LeCroy's; Type Specimens of Birds in the American Museum of Natural History – Part 5. Passeriformes ..., in; Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History, No.278 (2003), which incl. the Type for the Coraya Wren ssp. (as in my post #3), today's Thryothorus/Pheugopedius coraya caurensis, described in the same Paper by Berlepsch and Hartert 1902 (OD, in the same link, in post#1, on pp.7–8):

Thryothorus griseipectus caurensis

Berlepsch and Hartert

Thryothorus griseipectus caurensis Berlepsch and Hartert, 1902: 7 (Caura River, Nicara).

Now Thryothorus coraya caurensis Berlepsch and Hartert, 1902. See Phelps and Phelps, 1963: 266, and Brewer and MacKay, 2001: 143.

HOLOTYPE: AMNH 502763, adult male, collected on the Río Nichare,
[...] a tributary of the Río Caura, Bolívar, Venezuela, on 12 January 1901, by E. André. From the Rothschild Collection.

COMMENTS: The description was based on five specimens from the Río Caura, collected by André. The type, a male from ‘‘Nicara’’ collected on 12 January 1901, is unique. The four paratypes are AMNH 502764–502767.

[here, from pp.113–114]​

That is; even if the Río Nichare, of course, doesn't change the etymology of the name caurensis itself.

Hopefully of some use/help?

On my part: Río Caura and caurensis ... over and out!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back