• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a monocular (1 Viewer)

I'm partially sighted, have only only one working eye, hence the name, and although I currently have binoculars, rather than get another pair I want a monocular, something like 8x30 or 10x50, in the sub £50 range, but I'm not sure what is out there. I see lots on Amazon but they're mostly from brands I've never heard of. There is a Celestron 10x22 which I might look into.

I am blind in my left eye and went down this route initially, but soon went back to binoculars as I was not able to keep the monocular stable enough for it to be a viable option

o:)o:D
I am blind in my left eye and went down this route initially, but soon went back to binoculars as I was not able to keep the monocular stable enough for it to be a viable option

I am very sorry, loosing ones eyesight in one or both eyes is truly an awful thing to live with. From experience with dealing with one eye viewing issues it really comes down to just one thing when it comes to Monocular use .... not how cheap I can get away with or how small I can get it and still manage a decent view. It’s size, a 20-25mm monocular will never provide the Optical View or ease of use that a 40-42mm monocular will. A monocular with a larger exit pupil will be brighter and much easier to hold steady. Yes, a 42mm Monocular will be bigger/heavier and could cost more but if you are already dealing with impaired vision and the need is there for a monocular, a Monocular with a 42mm objective size is a insignificant trade off. I am fortunate not to be blind in my dominate right eye yet, but due to the worsening of my vision due to a specific medical problem the only one eye viewing I do now is with the Opticron DBA VHD + 42mm monocular. It’s long eye relief, combined with a exit pupil of 5mm enables me to keep the monocular stable/centered with minimal shaking. The Opticron DBA VHD Monocular Series is the only High End Professional Grade 42mm available today. If you are dealing with impaired vision or have vision in only one eye and feel the need to use a Monocular I highly recommend the Opticron DBA VHD Series.

Gray C

In case you ever contemplate giving a monocular a trial again:

I was comparing a Helios AMD+ 8x32 Waterproof straight tube monocular with a couple of 8x house binoculars the other day, and found that the Helios could match them for stability of view if I made a fist of my left hand, and rested the Helios upon it.

(I am right eye dominant, so hold and direct a monocular with my right hand. The Helios and the Opticron WP Mono 8x32 LE are similar in design and specification. It's a mystery to me what 'AMD' stands for. I googled 'AMD', and failed to find out anything)

Stephen

I have the Opticron "gallery view", monocular, 8x20.
It's ok. I think the benefit of this one is it's close focus to 30cm, and microscope adaptor which is great, albeit a little fiddly, for small insects etc.
I use it for close viewing up to a couple of metres only.

Wouldn't recommend it for regular longer range viewing

Last edited:
Hi. I am trying to work out if I want to buy the bushnell or a Avalon WP monocular. Do you have an opinion on the choice I have. If it helps it is for my female partner so she has smaller hands.

Hi. I am trying to work out if I want to buy the bushnell legend or a Avalon WP monocular. Do you have an opinion on the choice I have. If it helps it is for my female partner so she has smaller hands.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back