• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Guesses? (1 Viewer)

The bird looks quite small bodied to me, none of the 'barrel-chested' look of gos. So I'll go for sparrowhawk (if the photo was taken in the UK!).

(On the other hand, the photo is called gos2.jpg -- could that be a subtle clue!?)

Last edited:
Here are two more pretty awful video grabs of it. You're right about the sky Darrell! (And you reminded me that Honey Buzzard has been avoiding my Cornish list for an awful long time now!). I'd be interested for further opinions.

Attachments

• gos3.jpg
    gos3.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 360
mmmmmmmmmm sounds like thats the end of this game then and there I was working my way through the raptor section of me book and thinking how a photo would look.

Aquila - go back to bed. Turn out the lights, draw the curtains, keep taking the tablets and forget you ever saw this bird. You KNOW the County Recorder says they don't exist down here;)

You've got more chance of finding something really exotic - like Little Bustard !!!

Darrell

Video grabs 1+2 = what I have flying over my garden air space, and having a bundle with the buzzards, they look awsome on their low to high flying airiel attacks, and are not afraid of anything, or so it seems. Nina.

Well, although this was one of those occasions when I grabbed for the camcorder before sorting out i.d. first of a rather distant raptor, I've had it down as a goshawk, but I've been questioning my own sanity as, like Darrell says (nice one Darrell, made me laugh out loud!), they don't officially occur here in Cornwall! Nice to get confirmation though, so thanks to you all. This one was on the Lizard on April 15th this year. I'll start a new thread on goshawk migration, or lack of it.

The BTO New Atlas of Breeding Birds has two 'possible breeding' dots for Gos in Cornwall. They're hard birds to prove breeding, so 'possibles' are likely more than the word suggests

Migrant Gos - there was a Norwegian-ringed Gos trapped in Lincs a few years ago. So they do migrate.

Michael

Thanks Michael. I do suspect that there may be one or two pairs in Cornwall and that may be the origin of "migrants" in the county. In 15 years I've seen 4 definite goshawks on the Lizard: 2 in April and 2 in September. I'm also aware of reliable reports of at least 2 others, again one in April and one in September. Although all these records have been coastal, that doesn't necessarily imply, of course, that they are birds coming in from or going out to sea. They may indeed relate to birds dispersing post-breeding and returning pre-breeding - although you'd think that April is rather late to be heading for potential breeding grounds. Does anyone have any further thoughts on this?

Aquila,

At this end of the county we've had Goshawks on the Rame peninsula for the last 2 autumns. In 2001 a juvenile was seen in August, and last year and adult hunted over Penlee woods for a week or so in October, being joined on one date by a juvenile.

We speculated that these birds must be from the Devon poputation engaging in post-breeding dispersal. The nearest birds breed about 7 miles from Rame so it seems more likely than a migrant (but you never know!!)

I wouldn't be surprised if birds are breeding in the county - there are plenty of places that are not watched - perhaps the breeding atlas survey will turn something up

Darrell

Hi Aquila,
I'd think April refers to nesting, or at least prospecting, birds. Up at Kielder - a long way further north and higher altitude too - they are on territory by mid to late March and well settled in by April, I'd expect breeding to start earlier in Cornwall.

Hi Darrell,
It'll be interesting when someone finds a nest with young, and your county recorder rejects it . . .

Michael

Hi Aquila,Darrell,Michael et al,
Goshawks have a similar reputation here in Ireland as in Cornwall,it seems!A great problem is that the species,while being quite distinctive when seen well,can be hard to seperate from female Sparrowhawk at a distance,and obviously some claims will refer to misidentified Sparrowhawks.Others will refer to falconer's escapes(these may be of interest as they could lead to breeding records afterwards).A friend of mine checked out a report in south Cork:he says that it was a Gos,but way too tame to refer to a wild bird(think that there may be a falconry centre within a couple of miles too!)
I have only seen 1 definite bird here myself(a juv.male in Sep.01 at the Gearagh,which was elusive but often seen perched on stumps in the water(the site is a valley flooded in the 50's(?)when a dam was built down river).Prob.attracted by the abundant ducks etc there),but have had poor views of 2 possible birds(one in particular was almost certainly one,but the light was against us that day).
They are probably breeding in most counties of Ireland if reports are to be believed,albeit at very low density.
Harry H

The pics are not great, and as everyone knows, I'm a really crap birder......but Im still not convinced by goshawk. It looks too small bodied to me. it looks perfect for sparrowhawk! Ive seen goshawk 3 times this year (norfolk, new forest), and they have been big birds. could be male gos i suppose, but im not convinced. sorry, press delete! proper birders, prove me wrong for gawds sake!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back