• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id'ing Curlew v Whibrel in-flight (UK) (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Are there any easily identifiable features of Curlew v Whimbrel in-flight ? The reason i ask is that my train journey to work goes past Breydon Water where i like to look out of the window, as you do, where both these sp. are often seen. Now, it's reasonably ok-ish when they're side by side, but on their own in-flight (because they've been put up by the noise of the train) without a size comparison and without bin's / scope (as it's on a train) how do you tell which is which ?

It's never going to be easy from a moving train so I'd start by getting familiar with them when you're stationary and armed with optics! Once you've built up some experience you'll find the following are good pointers:-
1 - Whimbrel has a quicker wing beats that give them a more hurried look.
2 - A slighty slimmer outline and shorter bill (though beware that bill length varies a good deal in Curlew)
3 - The upper wing of Whimbrel is darker with fewer pale spotting in particular Curlew has paler secondaries (i.e. the white panel on Redshank).
4 - When not in the train listen for Whimbrel's distinctive call.

This isn't an exhaustive list, but the points that I find most obvious,

John

... and if seen from below, Whimbrel have barred axillaries, whereas Curlew have noticeably white arm pits (although not sure if these applies in all plumages!)

A general rule of thumb is (or, at least, was in my early birding years when I was learning) that the Curlew's bill is about half the length of its body whereas the Whimbrle's is about a third. As John points out Curlews can have shorter than normal bills. But allied with other diagnostics this might be of some help.

I suppose it depends on how fast your train is travelling! I'm currently close to Shanghai and I know that if I was on the hi-speed Maglev train that runs in from the airport I'd have difficulty separating an eagle from a starling!!

David

thanks, the train is usually not going much faster than walking speed (high speed, what's that ?) along that bit so i guess bins would be useable, if look a little silly, (note to self and anyone else interested - there was a thread a while back that dealt with the intricacies of using bino's on a moving train, i must find it up sometime).

Train'd both ways today and didn't see either sp, maybe tomorrow :t:

ok, cheers

This thread made a frustrating recollection come to the surface .... years ago in Wales I was bumping along in a train when a Whibrel flew up and beat along next to the train. It clearly had an all dark rump .......

Happily since then I've had an excellent flight view of another Whimbrel with a dark rump on a seawatch!
John

Yes that's the one Deborah. Unfortunately no better luck today as i was far too tired this morning and the tide (and birds) was miles away this evening (anyone have any advice for using a scope on the train ? ;))

Ho-hum maybe tomorrow...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back