• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Sudan (1 Viewer)

bwmoeling

Hi there - I'm a pretty new birder, but I think I've picked a good place to start. I have always enjoyed looking at birds but on a recent safari to Tanzania and Kenya I had a great guide who helped me identify them. Now I'm hooked. I've identified 96. Soon I'll be at triple digits!

Attached is a photo of a bird I spotted in a tree near my house close to the Nile in Khartoum. I think it's a White-Browed Coucal, but the breast is very white and my book shows a much more buff or brown-colored breast. This bird has the body coloring of a Burchell's Coucal with the head characteristics of a White-Browed. Would love to get a more expert opinion.

- Ben

Attachments

• P1040980.jpg
    P1040980.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi ya Darren and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section of the Forum and I have subscribed you to this thread so you will get email notifications when someone replies ;)

Hi Ben and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure someone will soon be along to help you out.

Hi Ben
You are correct that this is a White-browed Coucal. Burchells's is found much further south, possibly only in South Sudan (but I do not have my books available to check). According to Nikolaus (the main source for Sudan) there should also be Senegal Coucal around Khartoum, but I never saw any in 5 years of heavy birding in the region.

Tom

Hello Ben, and welome to the forum. Nice of you to join us.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back