• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sibley, Western North America (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
For the great many of us with the first edition of this and it's Eastern, companion, is it worth the upgrade to the new, 2nd ed?

Don't have the 2nd edition western but have the 1st edition western and 1st and 2nd edition combined / entire guide.

For me the differences between the first and second editions of the large guide are inconsequential. I am already up on taxonomic changes, and don't consult guidebook art in the US much, so I don't notice much difference.

Sibley guides are pretty good but I was disappointed that the second editions didn't do more to highlight field marks in the plates, and didn't include any more text. Really could fit more info about habitat and behaviour into a book the size they are, I feel. But c'est la vie, that wasn't your question.

Don't have the 2nd edition western but have the 1st edition western and 1st and 2nd edition combined / entire guide.

For me the differences between the first and second editions of the large guide are inconsequential. I am already up on taxonomic changes, and don't consult guidebook art in the US much, so I don't notice much difference.

Sibley guides are pretty good but I was disappointed that the second editions didn't do more to highlight field marks in the plates, and didn't include any more text. Really could fit more info about habitat and behaviour into a book the size they are, I feel. But c'est la vie, that wasn't your question.

Thanks,

from what I can see elsewhere, they've reorganised the layout but probably no need to upgrade then.

I thought as a US based birder it was worth updating, but not sure if there differences are significant enough to be worthwhile for someone overseas. Beyond taxonomic changes, I believe the range maps are updated as well and there are a few more vagrants/introduced species added in.

I thought as a US based birder it was worth updating, but not sure if there differences are significant enough to be worthwhile for someone overseas. Beyond taxonomic changes, I believe the range maps are updated as well and there are a few more vagrants/introduced species added in.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back