• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New book: The 100 Best Birding Hotspots in the Algarve (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
The contents of my eight booklets about the birding hotspots in the Algarve have now been put together in a single volume: The 100 Best Birding Hotspots in the Algarve.

This book has almost 300 pages with detailed information on 100 birding sites, distributed throughout the Algarve.

In addition to well-known places, such as Vilamoura, Quinta do Lago, Lagoa dos Salgados, Castro Marim, Sagres or Ria de Alvor, this book also contains a description of many other less visited but very interesting sites, both coastal and inland.

The contents are organized by municipality, with a chapter for each of the 16 municipalities. Each chapter begins with a two-page introduction, which highlights some interesting birds that can be seen in the area and how the hotspots look like. After that, detailed information is provided for each hotspot: a brief description, a list of the most interesting birds that can be found there, and some suggestions on how it can be explored. Maps and GPS coordinates are also provided.

There are also two appendices - one about pelagic trips and the other about using public transport to get to the hotspots.

It is hoped that this book will help all those interested in wild birds to discover new places in this wonderful region.

Cover page and some samples attached.

Attachments

• capa algarve bifa v3a copy.JPG
    capa algarve bifa v3a copy.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 42
  • sample 1.jpg
    sample 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 44
  • sample 2.jpg
    sample 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 32
  • sample 3.JPG
    sample 3.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 57
  • sample 4.JPG
    sample 4.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 53
The contents of my eight booklets about the birding hotspots in the Algarve have now been put together in a single volume: The 100 Best Birding Hotspots in the Algarve.

This book has almost 300 pages with detailed information on 100 birding sites, distributed throughout the Algarve.

In addition to well-known places, such as Vilamoura, Quinta do Lago, Lagoa dos Salgados, Castro Marim, Sagres or Ria de Alvor, this book also contains a description of many other less visited but very interesting sites, both coastal and inland.

The contents are organized by municipality, with a chapter for each of the 16 municipalities. Each chapter begins with a two-page introduction, which highlights some interesting birds that can be seen in the area and how the hotspots look like. After that, detailed information is provided for each hotspot: a brief description, a list of the most interesting birds that can be found there, and some suggestions on how it can be explored. Maps and GPS coordinates are also provided.

There are also two appendices - one about pelagic trips and the other about using public transport to get to the hotspots.

It is hoped that this book will help all those interested in wild birds to discover new places in this wonderful region.

Great, now we just need to get rid of the COVID-19 restrictions. Just ordered, though!

Last edited:
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!

Hi Gonçalo, This is a very fine book, I received it some days ago but only found time today to give it some in depth looks. I've had your Huelva booklet for some time, so figured I'd love to get the Algarve as well. But I did not want to get the various portions separately. So this is now very well worth it to have waited. I also like the extra sections in the appendices like on pelagic tours.
Unfortunately, I don't see any immediate needs for field use of such books but it's great for making plans and dreaming, at this point. :smoke:

I see you found a great way for publishing as well. This print on demand reduces having tons of copies that would need to be stored some place.

For future volumes, it would be nice to have an index with the species, at least. Though, in this case with not all that diverse places, it might be less critical.

Last edited:

hi. does it help to identify the birds too? for example are there pictures of the birds? or is it mainly about the walks?

Maybe I am dense, but exact way to access this?
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back