• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino Thoughts #5 (1 Viewer)

WJC

I’ve prepared this post, that I might explain my most common motivation—shallow thinking. I have no belief that it will keep those with burning agendas at bay. That’s why I have produced a PDF that those who don’t like me, or who choose to misunderstand everything I say, may simply choose to read around it.

For the other 3% ... bless you. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.58.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.58.22 PM.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.59.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.59.17 PM.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
A good read - thanks Bill :t:
Rather topical too considering where the country is at, and what it is facing.

Chosun :gh:

Thanks, CJ,

It’s memos like yours that give me the impetus to keep staying my course. I think the 3% matter. And I never know which of them will be sick pups like I was at 8 and will raise the bar higher than I ever could or be dumb enough to try.

Your profile says you are a “former expert.” I am an expert, too. But looking a little deeper, like Bino Thoughts #5 promotes, we come to a better understanding:

Expert = Ex + Spurt

Ex = has been
Spurt = a drip under pressure
8-P :cat:

Bill

:t:

Words; not how many you know but how you use them.

Thank you Sir.

No; thank you, sir!

“Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.” — Mark Twain
“Poor Faulkner, does he really thing big emotions come from big words.” — Ernest Hemingway

I have been chastised for my verbosity. But if you are trying to reach a broad audience, sound-bite journalism seldom does the trick.

“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between the lightning bug and lightning.” — Mark Twain :cat:

Bill

I’ve prepared this post, that I might explain my most common motivation—shallow thinking. I have no belief that it will keep those with burning agendas at bay. That’s why I have produced a PDF that those who don’t like me, or who choose to misunderstand everything I say, may simply choose to read around it.

For the other 3% ... bless you. :cat:

Bill

Could you post the SPIE paper or a non-paywalled link to same please?
In my world a request for an offprint is considered "research" :)

Edmund

Could you post the SPIE paper or a non-paywalled link to same please?
In my world a request for an offprint is considered "research" :)

Edmund

Hi, Edmund,

Here ya go:

https://spie.org/Publications/Proceedings/Paper/10.1117/12.931108?SSO=1

My first bino book gives 18 pages to Collimation vs. Conditional Alignment and the whole of the second book (68 pages) deals with the same subject.

I was under a time-crunch at the time, getting ready for the convention. Not only that, because of my audience, I had to write in opto-geekese. Either of the books will provide better information. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Hi, Edmund,

Here ya go:

https://spie.org/Publications/Proceedings/Paper/10.1117/12.931108?SSO=1

My first bino book gives 18 pages to Collimation vs. Conditional Alignment and the whole of the second book (68 pages) deals with the same subject.

I was under a time-crunch at the time, getting ready for the convention. Not only that, because of my audience, I had to write in opto-geekese. Either of the books will provide better information. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Bill

Thank you, I meant a link to a free copy of the paper. Or the thing itself, my email is edmundronald at the well known Google email site.
I'll gladly take my chances with the geekese

Edmund

Last edited:
Bill

Thank you, I meant a link to a free copy of the paper. Or the thing itself, my email is edmundronald at the well known Google email site.
I'll gladly take my chances with the geekese

Edmund

Hi, Edmund,

SPIE owns the copyright to the paper, and I don’t have access to it, anyway. A copy of my Understanding & Attaining 3-Axis Binocular Collimation, to which I hold the copyright, has been sent. It is more thorough.

But, please, I have no pension or retirement. So, when you have read it, destroy it. I’m trying to save up for a Hofner 500/1 CT. The older I get, the heavier this Jazz Bass gets. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

PS It's not written in Geekese. :t:

Last edited:

Hi, Edmund,

SPIE owns the copyright to the paper, and I don’t have access to it, anyway. A copy of my Understanding & Attaining 3-Axis Binocular Collimation, to which I hold the copyright, has been sent. It is more thorough.

But, please, I have no pension or retirement. So, when you have read it, destroy it. I’m trying to save up for a Hofner 500/1 CT. The older I get, the heavier this Jazz Bass gets. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

PS It's not written in Geekese. :t:

Bill your book is not written in Geekese, and it is indeed interesting.

Edmund

And ... carelessly overlooked by me when I was coming up with popular examples of shallow thinking for #5 ... FRANKENSTEIN:

Frankenstein was the doctor whose firsts name was Victor.
“Frankenstein’s Monster” was Adam.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back